Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Fischman flop a boat and bets it

[ QUOTE ]
This might be the worst post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This might be the worst post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This might be the worst post ever. and it's posted in 2 forums

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? Isn't this worth discussing? He didn't play it the way Doyle advised in "Super System".

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a fcking instructional guide. He probably plays a flopped boat a billion different ways.

This post is clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I also agree that this post sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to have created some interesting discussion for the worst post ever. In the future, could you guys please keep the discussion civil and give arguments rather than insults.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this post has attracted almost as much hostility and name calling as my theory of why it can be advantageous to stay in the red zone.

I didn't say Fischman's play was wrong. I just brought it up because it was unusual.

Does everyone think this is the worst post ever because it is obvious that betting out with a boat is a standard play?

I know everyone is against slow playing, but you slow play a boat for two reasons. It is almost impossible for anyone to draw out on you. It is almost impossible for anyone to have connected to the board. This is particularly true with a 772,r board that doesn't allow many draws.

Now I assume the reason Fischman was that it was adangerous board that it looked like no one had connected with. He hoped Cassidy would play back with nothing. He also may have thought a check might create the suspicion he had trips.

The result was that Cassidy folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for the hostility is because you left out every detail. You didn't say if it was rainbow or suited; you didn't give stack sizes; you didn't give blind sized; and you didn't give bet sizes. Had fischman led a huge % of flops before this?

If you asked me "should you bet out when you flop a boat?" I' respond "it depends."

Also, never leading with a flopped boat against players you're going to see again (or on TV), is obviously horrible becuause then every time you lead, your opponent will know you don't have a boat.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this post has attracted almost as much hostility and name calling as my theory of why it can be advantageous to stay in the red zone.

I didn't say Fischman's play was wrong. I just brought it up because it was unusual.

Does everyone think this is the worst post ever because it is obvious that betting out with a boat is a standard play?

I know everyone is against slow playing, but you slow play a boat for two reasons. It is almost impossible for anyone to draw out on you. It is almost impossible for anyone to have connected to the board. This is particularly true with a 772,r board that doesn't allow many draws.

Now I assume the reason Fischman was that it was adangerous board that it looked like no one had connected with. He hoped Cassidy would play back with nothing. He also may have thought a check might create the suspicion he had trips.

The result was that Cassidy folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for the hostility is because you left out every detail. You didn't say if it was rainbow or suited; you didn't give stack sizes; you didn't give blind sized; and you didn't give bet sizes. Had fischman led a huge % of flops before this?

If you asked me "should you bet out when you flop a boat?" I' respond "it depends."

Also, never leading with a flopped boat against players you're going to see again (or on TV), is obviously horrible becuause then every time you lead, your opponent will know you don't have a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the hand on TV and I don't have all the information about stack sizes, blind sizes, the exact flop, how they played previous hands etc. It's not like I can get a hand history like online.

It was 3-handed, so the blinds were fairly big. I think I rermember the flop, and I gave it later on.

Are you serious about if you don't bet with a flopped boat, your opponent will know you don't have a boat? You don't flop a boat that often. This only matters if your opponent flops trips top kicker or something, an they are probably not going to fold for fear of a boat anyway. Later in the hand, you could still have a boat even if you didn't flop one.

I was not saying the play was bad, just that it was unusual, and I think there has been some interesting discussion of this by intelligent posters such as sirio11 and sossman.

Perhaps I should have explained in the initial post why betting out with a boat was unusual. The TV commentators were acting very suprised and like it was an unusual play and maybe a bad play. This was a limped pot and there were no draws. It's not like leading into a raiser who may have an over pair.

I think some people didn't understand that it is pretty standard to slowplay a boat and why that is. Therefore they reacted with "worst post ever", like I posted that someone flopped a set and bet out.

Perhaps I should have posted more information, but my critics should also give a more intelligent and detailed criticism rather than "worst post ever" or "this post sucks".
Old 11-20-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Scott, with his aggressive style, would definately look suspicious if he didn't bet but kept in the hand. And by all means, keep your opponents guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if Joe Cassidy has a Q and a Q hits the turn, he's check-folding because that dude Fischman really looked suspicious?

Wow, you just discovered the key to win pots when playing heads up with 3 people left. Just check the flop and they know you have a monster. They won't call you even with top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how many people wanna slowplay this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the novel idea, because maybe it's the way to win more chips from your opponent?

[ QUOTE ]
but if you're image is a predator, then it looks unnatural if you aren't firing away in there...

[/ QUOTE ]

so what?, you think with players like Fishman and Cassidy their thinking is, he bets then bluff, he checks then monster; I assure you they are a little more complex than that.

[ QUOTE ]
wow....some folks on the forum have a lot to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, definitely
Old 11-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Betgo, for having such a high pot count your threads have mega sucked. Badly. First "Which is the best poker book?" and now this. Tisk tisk.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betgo, for having such a high pot count your threads have mega sucked. Badly. First "Which is the best poker book?" and now this. Tisk tisk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand the point of either of those threads. If you don't understand them, then they seem pointless.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:35 PM

This post really does suck. He bet the flop because he thought it would be a +EV play. It's not mandatory to slowplay a big hand.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:50 PM

what the hell is wrong with betting this,
I think it is a great move to bet out on the flop with monsters,so the boards was 772 or something,
if you have a agressive image your opponent you even give you credit for a 7,
Old 11-20-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post really does suck. He bet the flop because he thought it would be a +EV play. It's not mandatory to slowplay a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of standard to check a boat on the flop. I am not talking about a big hand in general. I am talking about a boat.

I am sure he thought it was EV+. However, when someone makes a nonstandard play, isn't ir reasonable to consider why he made it, and whether it was a good play?

Are you aware that betting out when you flop a boat is not the standard play?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 PM

It's not a nonstandard play. People bet out strong hands all the time.