Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Millionaire Next Door

I read this book and feel like I learned a lot from it. Mainly it made me understand that, especially early on, it is hugely important to make smart investments and to save money, not to waste money on luxuries to show off. I anticipate following many of the things I've read about in the financial books (mainly putting away money before anything else).

I'm still in college right now with probably the least expenses I'll ever have for the next 40 or so years. I'm torn between spending a modest portion of my poker earnings on luxuries (since I'd feel ridiculous (and never would) doing this when I had things like rent/mortgage to pay, a family to care for, etc.) and being smart about the money ( investing/saving almost all of it). I don't mean that I wouldn't enjoy myself with friends, eating out, etc., I mean I wouldn't get things like a new car or watch.

Anyone have any motivation for me to be as frugal as possible or to use this as a time to splurge a bit? I know in the end it's a very personal decision, but I'd like some outside advice.