Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Table talk

Recently a UTG player "checked in the dark" after the flop. Turns out he had 4 of a kind at that point and was signaling that anyone with a possible draw to a better hand should stay with him for a possible bad beat jackpot.
Is this a broadly understood signal? Could he have also simply announced he had 4 at that time and if so, would the house have honored a bad beat with a jackpot? Just wondering about norms and protocol. Anyone have any info to share on this?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Table talk

The bad-beat jackpot can usually be invalidated if a player discloses his hand to others. I'm not aware of this signal, though, and I don't imagine it would be against the rules as long as he didn't overtly communicate what he had.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 AM

or he was a)claiming to check in the dark in ordr to get someone to bet so he could raise/call/anyhthing but fold
b)actually checking in the dark

I use this all the time when I know a guy down from me is crazy aggressive and if I hit a hand I know this will make him bet and I can get a few in between for a raise. It is somewhat unethical to say check inthe dark if you have both looked at your hole cards and seen the cards you are checking on.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 AM

If you read the rules for the pot (posted somewhere in the room), you'll usually find something about players discussing their hands invalidating their win. Can't quote exactly, but I know I've read it.

Sometimes you'll see a table of regulars "playing for the pot" when it gets very high. Everyone knows what they're doing. Don't know if a table like that ever hit or what mgmt. would do about it if they did.