Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Weak-Passive Game stategy

A lot of the full ring games I have played online recently have been of the weak-passive variety. I have been fooling around with limping with a wide variety of hands, that I normally wouldn't, especially when I have MP or better in these type of games. I will generally try to take down the pots that nobody is going after. I don't have a large enough sample to really know how this is going to turn out, the early returns have been mixed. One thing I can tell is that my variance will definately be larger.
I have won some big pots that I wouldn't have been in, for example, I limped with 57o on the button flop comes 577, and take down a large pot from a poorly played KK.
I have lost some big pots in a similar manner. for example play a suited 106, flop comes A10x 2 of my suit, turn another 10. Lose a big pot to a limped AA.

Another thing I can tell is once people see you play some trash hands you don't get any respect, and your big hands start gettting paid off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these type of games?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Weak-Passive Game stategy

If your flop bluff is called, I give up unless I have a good read that says I should bet again.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Weak-Passive Game stategy

[ QUOTE ]
If your flop bluff is called, I give up unless I have a good read that says I should bet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. The trickier situations are when you hit marginal flops (TP with weak kicker). You have to have the disipline to lay down hands like that. The types of hands that have gotten me into trouble are ones where you hold something like 97, and flop comes 99x. In cases like this is you have to figure out if they have a better kicker or if they are playing back because they don't respect yoour play. IMO, the deeper the stacks, the better the strategy works.