Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Dead Sexy?

3/6 6 max game on Party that's 5 handed. I had 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+1/the CO.

UTG folds, I raise as was the style of the times.

Button calls (he's new to the table, seems decent, the cold call is strange though, so maybe no, dunno much at this point.).

SB calls, he's also decent ish, maybe a little loose and a little passive.

BB folds.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets out. I call (thought being that I want as much money in this pot as I can get, and I don't want the button to fold).

Button raises, SB calls, I 3-bet (nobody is likely to fold, in fact somebody might be slowing down with something like QJ here, because they're shook like that).

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Check, I bet, They call.

River 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Check, I bet, button folds, SB calls.

Obviously the question here is the flop. Do I just raise outright, is the call/3-bet a little goofy or the best move considering how much of the flop I have. Ignore preflop, because I'm not doing that every time with that hand in that spot, but it felt like time to raise with a hand like that.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Dead Sexy?

Why do you want the button in the hand? Isn't he correct to call one bet with a lot of hands on that board?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 AM

If he's calling, my thought is that he's helping my happy little flush draw. The SB probably isn't betting with hand I'm beating, so I'm not trying to protect my mighty 7.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 AM

I think you could have done the sexy on the river.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 AM

I like it. You disguise your hand well, then you start acting like you have an overpair. The other players are going to be confused as hell when you turn over your 2P.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's calling, my thought is that he's helping my happy little flush draw. The SB probably isn't betting with hand I'm beating, so I'm not trying to protect my mighty 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what you have on the flop really doesn't matter right? It's how often you'll have the winning hand. If the button folds wouldn't you want to take your fair share of free cards?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:22 AM

I think your call/3bet on the flop is perfect. You have huge equity and are building a big pot. Good hand. Turn/River standard.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 AM

This is a situation where you have bigtime equity in the pot. You are highly unlikely to win this hand with your 7, but you are very likely to win if you get one of your outs. You want lots of players so that if any of your outs (of which there are many) come in you make lots of money. Raising to knock players out is terrible. Extra players are not going to reduce your equity, they just split the remainder. I don't remember if this topic is in SSHE or in Gary Carson - maybe both.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM

I like it on every street. Love your flop call/3bet.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 AM

I was going to ask "what's your turn plan if you miss?" Because betting likely is -EV. But a big plus of an unorthodox play like this is it confuses the hell out of your opponents. If you miss and check, button might fear he's being set up again and might check himself (before he wrecks himself). and if he bets no biggie, either.

nice hand.