Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Fire Mark Richt. Seriously.

This guy is completely incapable of managing the clock in close key situations. I would look back and research but I'm about to go downtown.

The fact that Richt:
-[censored] up timing on a two point conversion that forced UGA to only go ahead by 2
-Allow Auburn to essentially score on a 4th and 12 on their own 40'ish yard line

That's bad enough.

But it gets worse.

With 1:45 left on the clock and Auburn on the five, Richt decides to put more faith in Auburn's kicker missing a chip shot than giving Shockley the ball with a timeout and 1:40 left to score the GW touchdown.

I mean, how? Come on!

How can you possibly [censored] up this badly? There were missed calls on both sides and players [censored] up, but Richt allowing Auburn to make a chipshot at the end of the game is quite possibly the stupidest [censored] decision I have ever seen in my life.

Can anyone here possibly give an explanation as to why Richt's coaching was correct in that scenario? Anyone? I am pretty mad right now so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but goddam this really seems like the worst possible call of UGA history.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Fire Mark Richt. Seriously.

Agree 100%

Honestly I think either 2 things will happen in the next 5 years

1. Bowden quits Richt takes the FSU job.
2. UGA hits a downslide and Richt is shown the side door.

edit...He fvcked up a few games I think his first year also with terrible clock managment. I can't remember which ones exactly, but I just remember watching it with someone and saying, "They won't put up with that [censored] for very long in Athens."
Old 11-13-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is completely incapable of managing the clock in close key situations. I would look back and research but I'm about to go downtown.

The fact that Richt:
-[censored] up timing on a two point conversion that forced UGA to only go ahead by 2
-Allow Auburn to essentially score on a 4th and 12 on their own 40'ish yard line

That's bad enough.

But it gets worse.

With 1:45 left on the clock and Auburn on the five, Richt decides to put more faith in Auburn's kicker missing a chip shot than giving Shockley the ball with a timeout and 1:40 left to score the GW touchdown.

I mean, how? Come on!

How can you possibly [censored] up this badly? There were missed calls on both sides and players [censored] up, but Richt allowing Auburn to make a chipshot at the end of the game is quite possibly the stupidest [censored] decision I have ever seen in my life.

Can anyone here possibly give an explanation as to why Richt's coaching was correct in that scenario? Anyone? I am pretty mad right now so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but goddam this really seems like the worst possible call of UGA history.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree it's stupid, but it's a pretty common mistake made on a regular basis.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 AM

Besides, why can't they just stand on the 3 and wait 1 minute or something if you decide to let them score?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:09 PM

OK, I'll play devil's advocate...

It looked like DJ was confused about something on the conversion screwup, hard to tell if that was his fault or not.

Was the 4th down conversion a coaching screwup, or a blown assignment? Jennings was out, his replacement (guy who punched the ball out) looked like he got burned pretty bad. Also appeared the safety had a shot at him at around the 30, and blew that too.

As for the clock management, Auburn's kicker is pretty bad, but yeah, they should've laid down.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah, maybe they'll bring Ray Goff back.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, why can't they just stand on the 3 and wait 1 minute or something if you decide to let them score?

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt this is going through a RB's head when the whole defense just refuses to tackle you.

It was funny how all of the UGA fans were so happy when they called the TD back. I tried to tell them that was the worst thing that could happen, but very few understood why. At least until about 2 minutes later.