Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Default A few ethics questions (only applicable to B+M rooms)...

A few of this have probably been asked before, so I apolgize for reprints...

1) If someone next to you pretty much exposes his cards by the way he checks them or holds them, do you capitalize on it? Do you tell him that you can see his cards? Do you sneak peaks and play against him based on this information? Do you not tell him, but also not exploit it?

2) Is holding your chips as if you're definitely going to call an opponents bet, thus getting him to rethink betting, angle shooting? Or is this fair play?

3) Is slow playing and trapping old people immoral? (That one's really been weighing down on me lately.)

Thoughtful responses encouraged and appreciated...
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: A few ethics questions (only applicable to B+M rooms)...

[ QUOTE ]
3) Is slow playing and trapping old people immoral? (That one's really been weighing down on me lately.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I won't comment on the first two, because they've been very well covered. But for this one, WTF? Trap 'em - they love to do it to us 'dumb young overagressive WPT wannabes'. If grandpa's wanting to sit down and play poker, I don't see why you should ever hold back on him just because he's old and the game's different now than the good old days.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:51 PM

1) Generally the feeling is, you tell them about it once. If they continue to expose, go for it.

2) Not any more of an angle shoot, then sitting there like a rock, until it is your turn to bet and then betting. If people want to base there actions on if you are "acting" like you are going to fold, or bet, or check, or call, or raise --- let them. It is called tells and reverse tells, and it is all a part of the game.

3) There is nothing wrong with this unless you have physically forced the other player to sit down and play.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM

1) I tell them once, after that they are fair game.

2) No

3) You got an old person to bet into you without the nuts!
Just kidding yes I think it is wrong.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:34 PM

2) This is one of the most ridiculously apparent tells in B&M play. Someone threatening with their chips is almost always weak. It's also a great reverse tell to make on observant opponents.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:37 PM

3) Just remember that you're not taking their money...you're convincing them to give it to you. If it makes you feel any better you could even discourage them from betting. 'Please don't call, pleeeese'
Old 01-21-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) This is one of the most ridiculously apparent tells in B&M play. Someone threatening with their chips is almost always weak. It's also a great reverse tell to make on observant opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two completely different movements/motions regarding grabbing chips, and they mean different things.

1 - The "aggressively grab chips immediately while looking at you" move is a bluff designed to make you check. This is the one most people are referring to. Strong-means-weak.

2 - The "I've been calling all along with crap and I know he's going to bet and I'm going to call and probably lose but I have to call " move is not a bluff. They have something weak that they're going to call with. If you're thinking of betting as a bluff, put your head down toward your chips as you grab them, but keep looking toward your opponent. If you see him move toward his chips as you're grabbing yours, he's going to call, so just check.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If someone next to you pretty much exposes his cards by the way he checks them or holds them, do you capitalize on it? Do you tell him that you can see his cards? Do you sneak peaks and play against him based on this information? Do you not tell him, but also not exploit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they do not protect their hand and flash it to you and you are not making any attempt to look, it is acceptable to use that information. However it is NEVER acceptable to crane your neck or do ANYTHING to catch a peek. If someone is not a new player (fairly experienced) and not protecting their hand at all I am not going to tell them, they have to use common sense to protect their hand.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Is holding your chips as if you're definitely going to call an opponents bet, thus getting him to rethink betting, angle shooting? Or is this fair play?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not angle shooting.

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughtful responses encouraged and appreciated...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:19 PM

1- Some people are oblivious. Warn them once and don't make an effort to look for their cards. If you see their cards then make the best of what is most likely irrelevent information anyway.

2- Do whatever you want with your chips, as was said: tells, reverse tells, posturing, reading, are all part of the game.

3- As from HEFAP, don't do it if it will embarass someone and make them go after you. They could stop having fun and play better in an attempt to beat you. Or, if they get stupid and tilty, do it, laugh and let them spew their chips.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) Just remember that you're not taking their money...you're convincing them to give it to you. If it makes you feel any better you could even discourage them from betting. 'Please don't call, pleeeese'

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! What else can we get them to do to call???