Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Default $22 NL Holdem SNG\'s (Need ITM Advice)

I have been playing the sng's for awhile now, and I feel like I don't play very well once I get in the money. Where can I find some good advice about ITM strategy? Specifically, I am looking for advice about what to do when there are exactly 3 players left, since I feel like my heads-up game is ok. I already know the general advice to "gamble for 1st settle for 3rd," but this hasn't done me a whole lot of good. I am looking for one of 2 things to take my 3 handed game up to the next level:

1) Something more structured at first (like a basic strategy I could follow).

OR

2) Advanced ITM strategy so I could further my understanding and really get good at playing 3 handed and evaluating the situation.

Basically, I am just looking for something to give myself an edge when 3 handed, so any personal tips or links to discussion of this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: $22 NL Holdem SNG\'s (Need ITM Advice)

This is way too general a request, unfortunately.

Spending some time with ICM, or investing in SNGPT, is probably your best bet. Input specific hands and see where you might have gone wrong. See the FAQ if you are unfamiliar with these resources.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:31 PM

I personally beleive that every 3handed situation is different. A lot of it depends on the stacks sizes and the personality of each player. As a general rule, when it comes to 3handed play, I become a LOT more aggressive preflop. But sometimes, that's not the optimal strategy as stack sizes and player types could easily dictate another approach.

We need some specific instances where you're unsure about your play.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 PM

As the others have said it is hard to give any definite suggestions for this situation - as every situation is different.

Like Smellkid said I will often play much more aggressive with 3 player (esspecially pre-flop). The idea I go in with is I want to make my opponents make the money decision not myself ... in other words I want them to decide if they are going to go all-in to see the flop, not let them put me in that position.

Once the flop comes I will play aggressive if I have caught ANY part of the flop, or if I have position. But again relative chip stacks, and previous player behavior may change this.

As already said, try posting an example of some of the situations you have run into, and see what others suggest - you may find some more specific help that way.

GL