Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 04:12 PM

Default very loose preflop conditions.

10-20 in which 7 people seeing the flop for 2 bets each is not terribly uncommon.

UTG maniac raises, one cold-caller to me, i am 90% confident that the pot will be at least 5-way and i cold-call with Ah9h.

stanrdard? terrible? what if i had 22? Td9d?
Old 12-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Default Re: very loose preflop conditions.

Hi AJ,

I'd like the call with a small pair, but not at all with a suited Ace. If you were on the button and had the 5 callers you are anticipating, then calling with the suited connectors are ok in the type of game you describe.
IMO, you're asking for nothing but trouble playing suited Aces upfront to a raise.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:44 PM

AJ,
Extrapolating, I assume your 3-bet before the flop is unlikely to get you the button in a 3-way pot, and I assume no-one behind you is very likely to 3-bet before the flop, and I assume the flop will not likely be 3-bet. So if you flop a four flush, you get to draw cheaply.

Therefore, on the days my nose is keen (and I don't lose much with a second best pair of Aces), I call. On the days I'm zigging when I should zag, I pass.

With 22 (or 55) I don't like drawing for bottom set when I don't expect much action on the flop; I pass.

With T9s, I don't like being in a loose game where anyone could have JTo or K8 in my suit; I pass.
BG
Old 12-21-2003, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With 22 (or 55) I don't like drawing for bottom set when I don't expect much action on the flop; I pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

An UTG maniac and 7 way action preflop being common sounds like plenty of action on the flop. And the Turn. And the river. Bottom set's going to hold up enough for this to be a very profitable situation.
In both examples where you pass, you seem to worry about being dominated, yet you like A9 suited up front to a raise.
You may want to re-think this a bit.