Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Overcard play with my comments

For the previous hour, this table had been TIGHT. During the last 15 minutes or so, about half the table left and got replaced.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>,

Besides being a good hand, I thought I had a reasonable chance to steal.

UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Opps! Well, maybe I'll spike an ace.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

4 players in here with me, someone has a piece of the moderatly coordinated board. No one will fold if I bet, but maybe if i check raise?....

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Hmm, ok someone's got a 7 or a 9 and someone else has a gut-shot. I doubt anyone has a Jack. I will need to pair-up to win for sure.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Hmm, I'm either behind or way behind.
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>

2 pair? set? flush draw? I don't like it.

, Hero folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

How'd I do?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Overcard play with my comments

I don't see anything bad about this hand.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 AM

Do you think my thinking is correct and therefore my play is correct, or did I stumble into the correct play?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 03:00 AM

I don't know, I think I might bet this flop (might be a leak of mine). The only chance you have to fold out a 9, 7 or lesser pocket pair is to bet. A jack will call or raise you, but you have odds to see the turn here for your overcards and backdoor straight. Unless you have made a mark as a check raiser, I think betting out is better here against this large field to try and get some of those behind you to fold. You don't have odds to continue past seeing the turn, so good fold. Next hand.

Vern
Old 01-08-2005, 03:23 AM

Bet the flop. If you raise PF and don't bet the flop every time when it misses you (moreso with semi-ragged flops like this one), you become very predictable. You might even take it down right there, and if you're called you have six outs.

Check/fold the turn unimproved, or without a card that gives you a big draw (an 8, T or K). Of course you'd also have to take the odds into account, as a T gives you an open-ender and likely an easy call to see the river.