Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2005, 12:53 AM

Default table selection

Im a multitabling 2/4 guy. Although Im never quite sure exactly whether or not I have an edge in any given game (which, incidentally, is why i prefer blackjack to poker), I feel that on the whole 2/4 is fairly weak (although far tougher than the same levels live), though, and im fairly sure that i have at least a minimal edge in pretty much every game i sit in.

that said, i feel my table selection and general table observation skills could definitely stand some improvement, especially as i progress to higher levels. as of now, since poker tracker shows only avg pot size, i will usually sit at tables with high pot size, play an orbit or two, and leave if i feel the conditions are not good enough. how terrible a method is this for 2/4? Also, how reliable is avg pot size as an indicator? ive heard that this stat can be deceiving, and perhaps not helpful at all. should i simply disregard this stat and analyze each table individually?

i finally got poker tracker, so hopefully this will help w/ better selection. how is pt best used to help with this area of play? is vpip, pfr and af enough? also, if someone could tell me how to download gametime, id appreciate it.

any other good techniques to be aware of? is it possible to beat 2/4 w/o ANY table selection, and only cursory observation of tables during play? id say intuitively you can still beat it, if fundamentally sound enough. i am curious, though, how high such a method can take you. i doubt 15/30 is beatable this way. but breakeven still is probable, i believe. anyway, i am rambling now.

appreciate any help with selecting fish loaded tables. thanks.

im still pretty new, but am winning at the lower levels. want to make sure im solid though, before going higher. i guess if i ever start losing i will start stealing bikes. i never have, but klepton's post inspired me.

peace.