Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-24-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Looking to try 6max online games need advice

Hey, thanks in advance to anyone who might respond to this post. I normally play 10 handed low limit games with the general strategy outlined in small stakes holdem by
Skalansky, Miller and Malmouth. I was thinking that I would really like to improve my short handed game so I wanted to play on the six max tables on full tilt for a while, and I was looking for some insight on good ways to adjust to the short handed games. First, I know I should open up my starting requirments somewhat but I do not know to what degree. I know I still want to avoid cold calling with marginal hands and do not want to call with weak holdings up front when I am likely to get raised behind, but do hands like KJo become +EV in second position? I normally have a VP$IP of around 22 percent playing 10 handed what is a good goal to shoot for in 6 max? Also, I figure AXo becomes playable in some situations but I feel that last time I tried short handed, I raised with these hands to much but it seems that these hands should show +EV in certain situations. I think I have a reasonable idea of how to play post since one often gets into short handed situations in 10 handed games but any advice on this topic would also greatly be appreciated. Also, is there any good literature on this topic? Any other advice on short handed play or good sites to find weak 6 max tables would help me a great deal. Sorry about the lengthy and disjointed post I just sort of spewed out some question I had. Thanks again for any advice you want to spare for a short handed novice.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Looking to try 6max online games need advice

There is a thread at the top that is reference thread. Click on that and get started. Here is the link:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3716568

For your stat questions, make sure you check out the thread by MrWookie.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:07 AM

Hi Mike-

Welcome to the forum. There's some excellent information at the top of this forum in stickies. The sticky itself contains a dozen links that each contain lots and lots of sublinks. Spend a few hours with that material, play some hands, respond to people's posts in this forum and then make your own posts when you have questions.

Best of luck. By the way, a lot of people experience higher variance at shorthanded play than in ring games, so make sure to have well above 500 BB for whatever limit you start at.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:07 AM

Generally all sites will have weak tables at the lower limit 6max tables, and generally Party is the softest. I also think people usually try dropping one level for their first shot at 6max, so if you're at 1/2 now try going down to .5/1.

As for your other questions, there's a preflop play by MEbenhoe floating around somewhere that's an ok jumping off point. KJ is a pretty standard raise first to act. Another commonly repeated piece of advice is to pretend you're playing full and its been folded to you, and let that be your opening standards.

I have no idea what kind of VPIP 22 is in 10-handed games, but it makes me think you're a nutjob, since that's pretty close to my 6max VPIP.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally all sites will have weak tables at the lower limit 6max tables, and generally Party is the softest. I also think people usually try dropping one level for their first shot at 6max, so if you're at 1/2 now try going down to .5/1.

As for your other questions, there's a preflop play by MEbenhoe floating around somewhere that's an ok jumping off point. KJ is a pretty standard raise first to act. Another commonly repeated piece of advice is to pretend you're playing full and its been folded to you, and let that be your opening standards.

I have no idea what kind of VPIP 22 is in 10-handed games, but it makes me think you're a nutjob, since that's pretty close to my 6max VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi House-

I don't think 22 VPIP in full is that unusual, the difference is that's usually accompanied with a 10-12 percent PFR instead of 17-19 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I haven't played full for months. Maybe the kids are doing it differently these days.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:54 AM

I was a 22/12 at 2/4, but I'm a nutjob [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the advice, I read through all those stickies and found lots of good stuff. I think the hand charts will be at least be a helpful starting point for pre flop considerations.