Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Odd dillema

[ QUOTE ]
psand, it's a clear angle shoot. i think any knowledgeable b&m regular and any good dealer would call it that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Lying about your hand might not fly if honor is on the line, but it happens all the time in the poker room. I can raise and say I have AA whether I do or not. I can raise and say I have 72o whether I do or not. I can raise and say I don't know what I have whether I do or not. Hell, lots of people tell the truth about what they hold because many people won't believe them - that's really the same type of deception. If you're so susceptible to believing everything you hear, maybe poker's not for you - or you need an IPod.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can raise and say I have AA whether I do or not. I can raise and say I have 72o whether I do or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: deleting parts. sorry im grouchy today.

You're talking about different circumstances and trying to apply them this situation.

To cast it in a different light:

A. simply lying about your cards during play is ok.
B. peaking at your cards and declaring youre raising blind is an angle shoot.
C. peaking at your cards and declaring a live straddle is cheating.

do you see similarities w/ each of them? yes but theyre not all the same and have different affects and ethics in the game.

bwana
Old 11-04-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can raise and say I have AA whether I do or not. I can raise and say I have 72o whether I do or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: deleting parts. sorry im grouchy today.

You're talking about different circumstances and trying to apply them this situation.

To cast it in a different light:

do you see similarities w/ each of them? yes but theyre not all the same and have different affects and ethics in the game.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree that C is cheating. Why because the rule is that a live straddle is a blind bet (this is solved by the dealer disallowing a straddle called after the player has received cards).

But there is no significant difference between A) Lying about your hand during play and B) Lying about whether you looked at your hand.

You haven't offered any explanation as to why these two lies should be treated differently.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see a difference between A and B. In either case you're lying about your hand. In B, you're just lying by implying that you have a random hand rather than a specific one.

C is certainly cheating and shouldn't be allowed by the dealer. The dealers around here declare the straddle only when they see the bet out before the cards are dealt. Once the card start flying, straddling is not permitted.

I'm grouchy today too. Let's see if there'a any coffee in the break room... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 01:06 AM

I'll clarify a few things:

1.) It's a clear angle shoot from the perspective of the player declaring the "blind raise". These guys know what they are doing and are trying to screw with the table.

2.) The reason I mention the ethnic group...and it is an ethnic group, not a race....is because it happens a lot, maybe even everytime I play.

3.) Really the only reason I am looking for any guidance on this at all is that these players are real douches and totally piss me off. I want to know the best way to screw with these idiots. I figured the best way to do this is to let fishy know what is going on.

I mean, you basically have to be a douche to try and pull something like this.