Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How Do you feel about my avatar?
Hungry! 2 3.45%
Aroused 1 1.72%
Disgusted 23 39.66%
HILARIOUS 5 8.62%
WORST EVER!!! 27 46.55%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Theory of Deception; A poll

Definition: Deception in poker, is the art of playing your hand in a manner which is contrary to that which maximizes your +EV, which in theory, increases your opponent(s) chances of misplaying their hand and returning your lost EV from the deceptive play and earning you additional +EV through the subsequent mistakes of your opponents.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Theory of Deception; A poll

[ QUOTE ]
Definition: Deception in poker, is the art of playing your hand in a manner which is contrary to that which maximizes your +EV, which in theory, increases your opponent(s) chances of misplaying their hand and returning your lost EV from the deceptive play and earning you additional +EV through the subsequent mistakes of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems with this definition is that is circularly references itself. If you are playing deceptively in order to maximize EV, and the definition of deception is playing in a manner that reduces EV, then you are at odds with yourself. Separating "EV without deception utilized" from "EV with deception utilized" would help here, but it would also make the definition wordier.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM

I don't see how this isn't exact and complete?

It might not be a good strategy at SS, but it's the correct definition of deception.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Go pens.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:05 AM

You have 3 completes and one worthless. I would say it is somewhere in between, but since that wasn't an option, I chose worthless.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 AM

deception

n 1: a misleading falsehood
Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a definition in a poker book. Maybe I have and just don't remember. So, after reading a book that a chapter on deception, which was 7 pages long, I decided to give it a shot.

My foundation was based upon the definition I learned for accounting while in college:

Accounting is the art of classifying, recording and summarizing transactions and events, which are at least in part of a financial nature and interpreting the results thereof.

That is a lot shorter than mine, and it takes 4 years of college to fully understand accounting, as well as a CPA test, that many say is harder to pass than the BAR Exam, to be a fully accredited accountant.

I thought what I came up with was o.k. The definition, by itself does not explain deception, that would take pages, however, for those of us who know what it is and understand how we can maximize its use, as well as misplay it, I thought the definition pretty much said it all in a nutshell.

Oh well, the exercise was fun.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:58 PM

How about,

Deception in poker is any action that increases your opponents' chances of losing Sklansky bucks.

More seriously, maybe it would be easier to define by linking it more directly to the Fundamental Theory of Poker.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen a definition in a poker book. Maybe I have and just don't remember. So, after reading a book that a chapter on deception, which was 7 pages long, I decided to give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Middle Limit Holdem?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 AM

correct..........good stuff