Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Too loose? Stud 8/b hand...

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

Not much to see here in terms of play comments. The only villain left is bad, bad, bad (his name has been mentioned a few times on this board, I'll say that much). I look forward to playing head up with him and outplaying him on every street possible.

Tendencies of villain: Overplays one pair down to the river, constantly chases in one direction, will give free cards if raised on a previous street. Very over-aggressive player with no regard to playing for 3/4 to full pots, but gets scared when raised by some players in the game. I am one of those players, and he's admitted it in chat.

4th Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls

I catch the 6c, a relatively unhelpful card, but when he bets, I'm sure he's betting a pair at best. No way does he have a three-low club draw, because he would have checked (villain is weak, only bets what he feels are "made" hands). I can safely put him on a pair of sevens or maybe buried nines - anything higher and he'd raise on third street. I play back at him like I don't care or to give the impression I slowplayed buried aces, and raise. He comes over the top, and now I'm worried about villain having a real hand. I call and hope to improve on fifth in a big way (low heart).

5th Street - (3.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

Ding! He checks (?), and I sense a lot of weakness, so I go ahead and bet my 67 and heart draw, plus what I am sure are buried overcards (the ace at least). He calls, unsurprisingly, and now I know he hasn't improved to better than one pair.

6th Street - (5.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

I pick up more outs to win high, and could be ahead. This is a must bet with a huge draw in both directions and a pair, since villain caught bad. I plan on betting the river with anything here (villain folds on seventh street with one pair consistantly).

River - (7.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

That's certainly a nice card to catch. He pays me off.

Total pot: 9.75 BB

Results:
Main Pot: $94.50 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ Qh Qd 7c Kc Js 5d 5c ] [ two pairs, queens and fives -- Kc,Qh,Qd,5d,5c ]

Hero: [ Ah Jh 2h 6c 7h Jd Kh ] [ a flush, ace high -- Ah,Kh,Jh,7h,2h ]

He called because he caught the five. Poetry in motion. I couldn't believe he had a pair as big as queens.

Many people will say that my play on fourth street is too loose and wild, however, I must defend it because of the person I was up against. I have outplayed villain 90% of the time, and he is widely regarded as the worst Stud 8/b player on Party. In my notes, he is approximately 84% to fourth street, and he completes (get this) 100% of his ace door cards. This is over a not-so-insignificant sample, mind you (maybe 7-10k hands or so).

Your thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Too loose? Stud 8/b hand...

[ QUOTE ]
Many people will say that my play on fourth street is too loose and wild, however, I must defend it because of the person I was up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would actually say the raise on 4th is a good play. You look like you have a strong low draw, the raise says as much. When you catch the next low card villian will now fear you're freerolling him and may simply fold if your next low card is scary(or course not this villian given your reads). Besides it could easily buy you a free card on 5th if you caught bad.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Too loose? Stud 8/b hand...

On 3d, I'd put him on either 3 low cards, split 7s + a low card or another low pair, or 3 suited or connecting lows. Given the crappy door cards behind him, a pair bigger like QQ+ would raise here to get it HU, and 99 would also either raise and try to steal it right there or just safely fold. 8, T, and J pairs are unlikely given the cards out.

4th: his first bet could be a steal, it could be a 4flush, or it could be a slowplayed high hand. I think you have to either raise or fold here, and raising is more fun than folding. You could buy a freecard to draw to your low/flush, you're giving him a chance to fold, and you're setting yourself up for a steal if you catch well on 5th.

A raise on 4th also makes 5th street easier to play. If you both brick and he bets out again (even if he didn't raise you on fourth, and moreso since he did), you can safely throw your hand away. If you hit a low and he bets, you can raise again. You'll almost never get raised again here, and he'll definetly check to you on 6th no matter what he hits, thereby giving you control of the action.