Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Value bet this river?

The CO is the worst player at the table. He sees most flops, calls 2 cold way too much, and likes to bluff.

The button is unknown, but seems a bit bad/LAGy.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (12.33 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Is there a value bet here?

(In the hand, I bet and he folded.)

Also, any comments on the double check-raise?

-Scott
Old 10-17-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Value bet this river?

Yes, the river has value in most cases because you would expect to get three bet by a straight.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish in the 2nd check raise. You'll have to explain the logic behind it. Was it fancy play syndrome?

To me, it was foolish to give your opponents a free shot to beat you on this draw heavy board.

~stephen
Old 10-17-2004, 09:12 PM

I would have capped preflop. Given your description of the CO I like your turn check. This seems to be the perfect oppurtunity to get CO to bluff, how could he resist? Also, you get the bonus of seeing how the button reacts to CO's bet. The river is a definite value bet. A flush draw is about the only thing he calls the turn with that he will fold on the river.

-Ezcheeze
Old 10-17-2004, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless you think he would bluff more hands than he can call with.

[ QUOTE ]
any comments on the double check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it. What if the turn gets checked thru, and then and Ace, 5 or T hits on the river? The boards to coordinated to risk a free card.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the river has value in most cases because you would expect to get three bet by a straight.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish in the 2nd check raise. You'll have to explain the logic behind it. Was it fancy play syndrome?

To me, it was foolish to give your opponents a free shot to beat you on this draw heavy board.

~stephen

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to play with this guy. there was almost exactly a 0% chance he's going to check behind.

He's that agressive, and that much of a bluffer.

-Scott
Old 10-17-2004, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless you think he would bluff more hands than he can call with.

[ QUOTE ]
any comments on the double check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it. What if the turn gets checked thru, and then and Ace, 5 or T hits on the river? The boards to coordinated to risk a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The CO is the worst player at the table. He sees most flops, calls 2 cold way too much, and likes to bluff."

Perhaps I shoulda been more clear on the worst player part and the likes to bluff part.

I think against an opponent like this, the risk is small, and its worth it.

-Scott
Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 AM

Then why ask for details on the 2nd checkraise if you know he will never check behind? It's of course right.

Not capping preflop sucks.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:23 AM

Then check and call on the river.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then check and call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I shoulda thought of that. Excellent insight, thanks!

-Scott
Old 10-18-2004, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not capping preflop sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button was a big Laggy, but I really didn't see him capping without a real hand. He was 3beting a bit, but not capping, so I had to give him some credit. This might be weak-tight thinking on my part.

But lately against the really bad I've been not capping preflop with premium pairs, and then jamming with them postflop as long as the board isn't really scary. I think that when I don't cap preflop they give me less credit for a real hand, and are more likely to go several bets with much inferior hands.

-Scott