Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 99 in the SB (30/60)

That's the only other line I see w/ a hint of aggression, the alternatives being check/call and fold. Curious to hear what Lars has to say.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 AM

I agree with those who said that the only necessary to change is check/calling the river to hopefully induce a bluff, but I think the caveat should be added that this is the right *default* play. How you played it might have been correct if you had appropriate data on him.

Another possible change would be 3betting preflop if you can be pretty certain that the BB and one of the early limpers would fold, but that's another "read" play and not the default.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 AM

It's very close, and I would probably raise or fold myself. But probably close between all three options to be honest. I would probably have raised it, but I am in a phase where I am starting to second-guess plays excactly like that.

I think I have been pushing marginal edges to an extent where I need to revert back to playing slightly tighter and picking my situations and spots for betting and raising more selectively.

lars
Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 AM

What A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] should consider doing differently:

- Not betting into five opponents with Ace-King on a Q-8-4 rainbow board.

- Raising the turn, when after betting the flop, he gets it headsup to the turn, albeit for two bets, this must be almost better than expected, he hits a very nice turn and could put severe pressure on all hands up to Queens with a mediocre kicker with a raise here. He will also get a free showdown which is not entirely worthless here I think.

- Paying off the river. The turn cards allows him to get to the river without much thought, now he's here with the nut pair of Deuces in a 11 big bet pot. The last one is of course debateable, but if his belief in AK in that low, it's not consistent with betting into five guys on the flop. I mean, is he hoping for five folds on the flop or two callers that will fold the turn??

lars
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If MP2 had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] do you still think he played it poorly? What should he have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

check the flop