Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Comparing Limit to NL

Okay, I'm a winning 15/30 player on Party. I multitable for slightly under 3BB/100. I've been wanting to move up in limits, but that's not possible on Party and other sites just don't seem to have enough tables unless I learn to play shorthanded a lot better. Looking around, I often see what seems to be too many larger NL games. Like, on one site, I saw a single $10/$20 limit game, but there were 5 $3/$6 NL games (equivalent to $6/$12). I don't have any way to measure what kind of profitability is reasonable to expect though. So, for the same level of blinds, how much more can you expect to make in NL than in limit?

And before I even get an answer, I want to clarify what a BB is. BB in limit refers to Big Bets, not Big Blinds, so the Big Bet in a $15/$30 game is $30. Since there are no Big Bets in NL, a BB would be double the Big Blind. $2/$4 NL refers to the blinds and has the same blinds as a $4/$8 limit game, so a BB for a $2/$4 NL game would be $8, not $4 for it to be compared to limit. Just thought I'd put this in here as there seems to be far too much confusion on what a BB is.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Comparing Limit to NL

For NL, you can expect a bb/100 optimally of 10-12, and around 6-8 if you multitable. This would translate to a BB/100 of 5-6, or 3-4 if you multitable. As you move up in stakes, it becomes harder to achieve the same BB/100. These numbers are estimates for a 2/4 NL game.

I think considering you have a solid win rate at Party 15/30 limit, I think I would stick there from a profitability stand point.

If you want to vary up the games you play though, feel free to play some NL. I play both, and prefer NL.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:44 AM

That low? I would have thought NL would be at least double the profitability of limit rather than barely more.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:01 AM

the pokertracker BB/100 stat for nl uses 2x the big blind as the BB. in a 2/4 nl game, a very good player can expect 8-10BB/100, or close to $80/100.

also consider that nl games often see fewer hands/hr than limit games.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Thanks for your input. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the pokertracker BB/100 stat for nl uses 2x the big blind as the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right. Good clarification. I forgot.