Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Big Ass Rant

I may be mistaken, but I believe they are owned by the same company and are basicly the same site on different servers. Obviously I'm not a computer geek, but I think that is what I have heard on these forums.
I know you can't play on both sites at the same time though, which may lend strength to my profoundly week arguement.

Man, I gotta stop drinking so much.....(confused look in the reflection in my monitor keeps me entertained)
Old 10-07-2004, 05:20 PM

Wow.

Make it THREE people in this thread who have to dial up their Sarcasm Detector 3000 (tm).

... threads like this make me weep for the future of mankind.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:41 PM

Empire is basically the same site as Party (same tables, for example). However, because they are newer and have a smaller player base, they have set the win/loss cycles to go slower over longer periods. If you look at the cycle-length at Party (ie: you win for two weeks, then you lose for two weeks), the current cycle-length at Empire is about three times as long. You will see the same pattern at Empire. You just haven't seen it yet since you have not played there as long. But trust me, you'll see the same thing. Of course, the cycle length is dependent on what limits you play, how often you play, and how much money you deposit there.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM

Like I said in my initial post, did you think it was just a coincidence that you continually played great poker and always just ended up even?

Try this experiment. Deposit $1000. Now, forget about what cards you have. Just play every hand and raise like crazy. You will probably see a downswing at first, but then the rake protection algorithm will kick in and things will even out for you. Within two weeks, you will probably be at about $800-900 (even, minus the rake). You can play great poker and still will be at that $800-900 range. If you end up going broke, that means the algorithm did not kick in yet, so deposit another $1000. Within a week, they will crank you back up to about $1800 total.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:50 PM

Thanks El Diablo,

My apologies to the other guys I said were wrong. Apparently Empire and Party are the same.

Anyway; on to more important things. El Diablo I think you make a very interesting observation. Do you have a contact on the inside? or is this just a pattern you've come up with on your own.

It makes sense to me that Empire would offer a longer cycle...3 weeks as opposed to 2 will have a significant effect on people feeling like "winners" and believing they are good players.

Of course I'm talking about the people who aren't very good. And as I stated before; I consider myself to be "very good" but not "great".

So, if I cut to the chase; I think your recomendation is to cash my money OUT of EMPIRE before they start distributing it to the "very bad" players there.

What do you think about a move to this other room I've heard of called Intertops or something? My friend plays there and says the games are MUCH easier than Party or Empire.

He says the players are a lot better, but I tend to lose a lot to the bad players and win a lot from the "good" to "very good" players. The "great" ones usually beat up on me. But I'm getting off point here.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 PM

Diablo is on to something. Smokey, you mind PMing what name yo uplay under? Maybe play some 5/10 too?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
smokey98 has Th 9h (two pair, tens and nines).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it certain that the smokey98 in that hand is the same guy? I mean, wow, that hand was played absolutely wrong at every decision. It's not like they were even questionable descisions either, and they got worse and worse as the hand went along. Cold-calling with T9s = bad, but not as bad as the rest. Calling with an undergutshot on a 2-flush board is awful. Calling 2 bets with a weak 2 pair on a 3-flush, any jack makes a straight board is absolutely atrocious. If the person who made those plays think they're even remotely good, they need a wake-up call.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped playing at Party. Those cheating bastards have gotten the last of my money (except I still go back for reload bonuses).

I moved over to Empire poker and no longer experience the high volumes of suck outs and long shot bad beats. I've got about 10ooo hands there; and my results have been nothing like they were at Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's odd considering they're the same site.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:09 PM

"It's not like they were even questionable descisions either, and they got worse and worse as the hand went along. Cold-calling with T9s = bad, but not as bad as the rest. Calling with an undergutshot on a 2-flush board is awful. Calling 2 bets with a weak 2 pair on a 3-flush, any jack makes a straight board is absolutely atrocious. If the person who made those plays think they're even remotely good, they need a wake-up call."

What if a person can't comprehend what they read? You made at least three errors in identifying what plays this player made.

-Michael
Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at the cycle-length at Party (ie: you win for two weeks, then you lose for two weeks),

[/ QUOTE ]

So what does it mean when you win for 6 weeks then break even for 2 weeks, then win for 4 weeks? That's more like my experience on Party.