Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Home HU small stakes NL HE

A friend and I decided to play a series of 10 heads up matches against one another. I think I misplayed a hand earlier tonight and just wanted a bit of feedback.

Basic info, it was early in the match that had started w/ extremely deep stacks (230BB each). I had a small chip lead of maybe 20-30 BBs.

I am on the button and look down and find 96s. I call the big blind with 69 suited. He calls.

2BBs in pot
Flop comes 2 6 9 w/ 2 of some suit (I forget which). I raise the pot, he thinks and calls. I could put him on any range of hands at this point and have no real read but feel very confident that I am ahead.

6 BBs in pot
Turn comes a 10. He thinks, motions as if he is going to check, and then fires out a 1/2 pot size raise (3BBs). His action confuses me at first and I feel very strongly that he has either A. just completed his straight and is either being indecisive or trying to communicate weakness or B. is on a draw and made that bet to try and freeze the action so he can see his final card on the cheap. I respond w/ a pot size raise to his bet. He reraises me to what amounts to about 20BBs. The pot contains 36 BBs plus his 20 BB raise. I am sitting w/ 200+ BBs left in my stack. At this point about the only hands I can put him on are a straight or a pure bluff. I have never seen him limp on a small pair preflop while playing headsup so I don't see any possibility of a set. There is maybe a 20% chance he is on a flush draw knowing that I might lay down any hand but a 78 when he comes over the top like that. T9 is also a possible holding but feels unlikely based on the action (I think he would have bet the flop or raised my bet w/ that holding). All of this to say that I felt very confident my two pair was drawing to four cards as I trailed his straight.

After concluding that I was way behind, I call. I figured that if I was correct and he has the straight that I have 4 cards in the deck to fill up and bust him or I will lose about 9% of my stack if I miss.

Of course the river hits a 6, he checks, I overbet the pot, he quickly pushes in response, I call and show my cards, he shows me his straight and calls me a nasty name.

I know I was very lucky to hit a 4 outer there. Is my call awful or can it be justified? I felt it was sensible to make a call in that situation because I felt by risking a small portion of mt stack, I had a 10% chance of busting him? I was very confident that if he had the straight he would pay off the full house w/ all his chips. Do the implied odd justify the call or am I just a lucky donkey?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Home HU small stakes NL HE

The call is ok given the deep stacks/implied odds.

If you clear the hand reading up, and make it easier to read, you probobly will get more responses.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Home HU small stakes NL HE

Sorry if the first one was to blocky.

Live Game. Heads up. Hero has about 240 BBs, Villain has about 220 BBs

HERO dealt 6 9 suited on button.

Hero calls BB and BB checks

Flop 6 9 2 w/ 2 suited cards.

Villain checks, HERO bets 2 BBs (the pot). Villain calls.

Turn 10

Villain moves as if to check, but then instead tosses in 3 BBs. Hero raises to 15 BBs (raising the pot), the Villain just calls.

River 6

Villain checks, Hero Bets 1.5X the pot, Villain moves all in, Hero calls.

Point being I was pretty sure that he had just turned a straight when the 10 hit, I was about 80% confident I had 4 outs left in the hand. There was a 15% chance he was on a pure bluff or semi bluff w/ a draw to the flush. I didn't see the possibility that he had any other hand based upon the previous hands. Am I justified giving a call on the turn knowing I am behind based upon the probability that if he just turned his straight I will likely bust him by filling up on the river?