Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Overcards against semi/loose aggressive players

I have been reading up on playing against loose aggressive opponets who have been giving me trouble of late. This includes all Manaics, LAP's, and SLAA type players. I understand one should not bluff, or semi bluff against them but instead induce bluffs more. But what about Overcard situations, here is a fictious one and I wish i knew how to use the hand converter better.

Folded to Hero in MP1
Hero bets with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
LAP in CO calls
BB calls

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero: Bets
LAP in CO: calls
BB folds

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero: checks
CU: bets
Hero: folds

CU show: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

How would you play this. Now, if I bet the turn I am bluffing and he is likely to have anything from a pocket pair to 87 suited to K high which is what he had and may easily go to a showdown with. Is this just a circumstance of me being out of position and having to take the loss or could it of been played better?

Also, what if you switched spots with the LAP but kept the same cards. He raises preflop in MP1 and you call in the CO. He bets the flop and you call and its heads up here on the turn. He checks the turn what do you do? Say you raised his flop bet and he called then checked the turn, do you take a free card?

Migth be a little confusing but if you understand please help me out.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Overcards against semi/loose aggressive players

bet the turn. the LAG would have raised the flop with any pair and thus A-high has a very good chance of still being the best hand. If LAG calls the turn then check/call most rivers (as you become more comfortable with high card hands you can even value bet the river with A-high on ocassion).
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Overcards against semi/loose aggressive players

Bet the turn. With ace high against a tard who hasn't played back at you, it's a value bet, not a semi-bluff. Then c/c the river unimproved to induce a bluff.