Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Flip-flops: are we done with them yet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but don't go to the f*cking White House in them like that volleyball team did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werent they a lacrosse team?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but so what. The scandal is that the coach wasn't fired and the players expelled for that stunt. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flip flops are the most comfortable thing in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another thing I don't get. The proponents of these ghastly foot debacles always talk about how comfortable they are. I've never found this to be true. First of all, the thing yanking your first two toes apart is pretty painful. Secondly, you have to walk in a certain fashion so they don't slip off your feet. Thirdly, you can't ever jog or quickly side step something if you have to. Like if you're walking across the street and a taxi spins around the corner and you have to leap out of the way -- your flip-flops are gone and you're barefoot the rest of the day.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:49 PM

when its 100+ in texas and 100+ degrees down by mexico with humidity that will take your breath away i will refuse to wear socks and shoes. period. if the cement didn't fry my feet i wouldn't wear sandles, but flip flops will have to do.

i agree that they aren't appropriate in the workplace but to get mad at people that wear them in general is strange.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM

But do you wear them with long-sleeve shirts and jeans/slacks? If so, why would you be in long-sleeve shirts and jeans in 100+ degrees w/ humidity?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Reef's and other slippers are +EV - especially when in Hawaii (like I am now)
Old 12-22-2005, 05:16 PM

In Hawaii they are called slippers. Nuff said.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another thing I don't get. The proponents of these ghastly foot debacles always talk about how comfortable they are. I've never found this to be true. First of all, the thing yanking your first two toes apart is pretty painful. Secondly, you have to walk in a certain fashion so they don't slip off your feet. Thirdly, you can't ever jog or quickly side step something if you have to. Like if you're walking across the street and a taxi spins around the corner and you have to leap out of the way -- your flip-flops are gone and you're barefoot the rest of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get some different flip flops and not the $2.99 from wal-mart then. Get some Reefs or some Rainbows and wear them for a little while. Maybe I'm just used to them as I've been wearing them my whole life but I find them EXTREMELY comfortable (don't even notice the toe spreading), I walk normally with them, I can jog or run in them if need be (obviously not as well as shoes, but more than sufficient), and I never lose my sandals dodging taxis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing that I can find a little annoying about them is when they sometimes decide to squeek when you walk, but that can typically be easily remedied.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get some different flip flops and not the $2.99 from wal-mart then. Get some Reefs or some Rainbows and wear them for a little while. Maybe I'm just used to them as I've been wearing them my whole life but I find them EXTREMELY comfortable (don't even notice the toe spreading), I walk normally with them, I can jog or run in them if need be (obviously not as well as shoes, but more than sufficient), and I never lose my sandals dodging taxis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The only thing that I can find a little annoying about them is when they sometimes decide to squeek when you walk, but that can typically be easily remedied.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I have no problem with this either. Ive even played basketball in flip flops, and have run across streets many times in them, and never have had them fall off.

Yanking your toes apart? Were they surgically attached together or something?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Just slip your foot a little bit back when you're sitting down and they don't dig in. Plus you can even take them off if you like, and just use them as a rest for your feet when sitting. Even cooler. When walking, don't stomp like Frankenstein I guess. I grew up wearing them so I can't remember there being a learning process to any of that, but maybe there is.

You can sometimes slip and twist in them, that's true enough. Sometimes they can catch om something and trip you. Doesn't happen much. They can leave a black V where the straps cross over to the space between your big toe and second toe, if you get your feet wet or just get dust or sweat on your feet. Wash it off.

All in all, they're pretty great for hot and humid weather, whereas shoes can be anything from uncomfortable to miserable. You store up, or let off, a LOT of heat in your feat. Especially when wrapped up not only in the heavy material of a shoe but blanketed even further by a sock. Those toes start roasting, and slip in their slime...ugh. And the rest of your sock blanketing your shin...more hot sticky blecch.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM

I agree with what you are saying. To satisfy the people in hot climates you need to say that flip flops are ok when you are wearing shorts. If you are wearing pants and flip flops then you look like a douche.