Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a GREAT deal for the Braves. I am going to make the insanely bold prediction that the Braves pick up the $11M option on Reneria in 2009 when he is all of 33 years old!

Renteria at $6M per year will be one of the best bargains amongst vereran players over the next three years. This fills a pretty big hole for the Braves without really hurting themselves in the near future, despite giving up a top flight prospect.

This was a terrible move by the Red Sox. One bad year and let's just throw Renteria in the crap heap. Not only do they create a huge hole for themselves, but they PAY money to create that hole. While Marte is a very good prospect, let's not put him in the All Star game just yet. Much better prospects have been total flops. As the rosters stand, I would not expect Marte to be the starting 3B in Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

huge hole? have you seen the starting SS for the last few WS champs?

this is a good deal for both sides. the braves get value on renteria while the red sox get the NUMBER ONE prospect accoding to baseball prospectus. the braves could not get him into the starting lineup becuase of jones, yet the red sox have no such problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider going from Edgar Renteria to Alex Cora as your starting shortstop creating a huge hole.

Now Marte is blocked by Mike Lowell. Have fun with that Boston fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

blocked by mike lowell? LOL!

i am amazed that people 'anaylze' this deal, yet just post what they think.

the 11m$ sent to the braves is offset by the fact that the red sox control marte for 5-6 years. if this guy turns out to be scott rolen then its a STEAL. again, he is the NUMBER ONE PROSPECT rated by baseball prospectus. sure, he could turn out to be nothing and suck but teams have to take chances like that in order to be contenders year in and year out. this isnt some 19 year old A pitcher. this is a 21 year old with 4 seasons in the minors with monsterous numbers at semi key defensive position.

renteria peaked a few years ago and has had two season that were progressivly worse since then. at the money the braves are paying for him now, he has value. at the money the sox were paying for him, he wasnt.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider going from Edgar Renteria to Alex Cora as your starting shortstop creating a huge hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. I must have missed the part about the Red Sox announcing that Alex Cora would be our starting shortstop next year.

[ QUOTE ]
Now Marte is blocked by Mike Lowell. Have fun with t[hat Boston fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait - a current AAA guy, who might not be ready for full time duty until next year, is blocked by a guy with 2 years on his contract?

that was a pretty dumb thing to say, for all kinds of reasons

Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now Marte is blocked by Mike Lowell. Have fun with that Boston fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait - a current AAA guy, who might not be ready for full time duty until next year, is blocked by a guy with 2 years on his contract?

[/ QUOTE ]

Marte is ready for his full time Major League trial right now. Instead he might spend the season in AAA. That is the very definition of blocked.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. I must have missed the part about the Red Sox announcing that Alex Cora would be our starting shortstop next year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was mostly dumb due to the fact that:

A) if marte is ready to play, he will. lowell is not chipper jones
B) lowell can play 1B
Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 AM

Boston Herald quote:

"After the trade was announced, one baseball source said another team that was interested in Marte turned away after the Braves acknowledged the player had a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament of an elbow. A Red Sox official said Marte is healthy and that the team reviewed his medical file."
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 AM

Not that $3 million dollars means much today but the $11 million figure is a little deceiving because it includes the $3 million dollar buy out of Renteria's 5th year option.

So it's really just $8 million more "out of pocket" as far as the Red Sox are concerned because had the
sox not made this deal they would have been on the hook for $30 million for the next 3 years plus the $3 million buy out.

Looking at it another way the deal actually saves the Sox $22 million($33m - $11m) as opposed to the $19 million($30m - $11m) that everyone is thinking.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM

So you are telling me that the Red Sox will move a gold glove third baseman over to first?

Marte is very clearly ready to get his shot at being a Major League starter. If there was no Lowell, it would be his job to lose. Since there is Lowell, he is going to have to come in and be a super-duper star to get the job. I agree, if he hits .500 with 9 HR's in spring, he will be in the lineup somewhere. Marte is most likely headed for another half season at AAA, bare minimum.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you are telling me that the Red Sox will move a gold glove third baseman over to first?

[/ QUOTE ]

they'll do what it takes to get the best lineup out there. that might mean Lowell at 1st - hey, I bet he would be a Gold Glover over there as well! also, it's not like the Sox have a great option at 1st base, currently. I guess Youk would be the 1b if the season started now.

I seem to remember the Yankees taking a gold glove shortstop making $25M a year, and moving him to 3rd base. he won MVP last year.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 AM

The Red Sox would have been on the hook for $26M + $3M buyout. Barring an injury, Boston will not have to pay the $3M. The Red Sox are saving $18M over three years.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was mostly dumb due to the fact that:

A) if marte is ready to play, he will. lowell is not chipper jones
B) lowell can play 1B

[/ QUOTE ]
Lowell has no experience playing 1B. It is not always an easy transition. Besides, Lowell's value is providing above average defense at third base.

FWIW, I think it was a bad trade for Atlanta. I think Renteria will have a bounce back year, but they definitely could have gotten him for less than Marte. Hell, the Sox probably would've taken Betemit and a pitcher for him, just to get rid of his contract.

The Devil Rays are the biggest losers in this. They could have had Marte for Julio Lugo straight up, and TURNED IT DOWN.