Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Default 2+2 Book Progression

Tried a search on this topic, but came up with nothing [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm a newbie to "serious" poker...first post here! I did my homework and just bought Getting Started in Hold 'Em by Miller. Great book.

After I study, practice, and digest the ideas/strategies in this book, I plan on moving up to SSHE, etc. (as recommended by Miller in the book).

Has anyone out there followed the 2+2 progression of books? What can I expect as I move up? Do the books (as recommended by Miller) follow a logical progression, or are other books by other publishers/authors necessary? I prefer to study one book at a time as I get side-tracked too easily with multiple books.

Thanks for any information or advice you may care to give. I learn in a very linear fashion and was wondering what experiences people have had following the 2+2 steps to great poker playing.

Hope to see ya'll at the tables [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Book Progression

Harrington on Hold'em 1 and 2 if youre going to play NL holdem tournaments or SNGs, and SSHE. Also at some point, Theory of Poker by Sklansky.

Other than that, keep reading 2+2, post hand you feel uncomfortable about, and get lots of playing in. Experience is everything.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM

Welcome to the forum.

As for the "progression", i wouldn't say I've followed it at all because SSHE wasn't out when I started, and once I read and digested it then GSiH came out and I bought it for the NLHE content. I also picked up HEPFAP and the Split Pot and Stud books along the way, and now I'm studying Harrington I. So I'd say I've practiced accumulation of 2+2 books rather than progression.

The books recommended by Miller for each game are IIRC as logical as anything else. They're not all 2+2 books, but certainly most of them are. It's hard to deconstruct their recommendation into an unbiased opinion, though, because on one hand they sincerely believe their books to be the best, but then again that belief is well warranted, at least IMO.

You may find this useful: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Books -- we're working on sort of a reading list, hopefully in a logical order

Also the Books/Publications forum is a good resource, although as you note the search is dubious. Recent consensus is, you're better off using Google to search this site.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Depends what you want to work on. Theory of poker is excellent once you get some basic skills. Dr Al's Psych book helped me tremendously. It has no strategy whatsoever, but it helps you understand why you (and your opponents) play the way you do. I wouldn't recommend that you read it first, but it should be in your top ten.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM

I didn't do it this way because most of the books didn't exist when I started, but I think a sound progression for a beginner would be:

Getting Started In Hold'em
Small Stakes Hold'em
Inside The Poker Mind
Theory Of Poker

Those will give you a good basis for Hold'em. You can read ITPM along side SSHE, in my opinion.

After that base, things will open up. Most of the 2+2 books are highly recommended. If you need some help with tilt, Zen And the Art Of Poker is useful in my experience.

Regards,

T
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 PM

Ed Miller himself responded to a similar question a few days ago. Check it out
Good luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 PM

Thank you all very much for your helpful advice.

I'm looking forward to learning poker as extra income at a conservative pace. I'm too conservative to risk the "bank". Plus, my wife and our first baby (due in December) would probably not like me to lose their livelihood [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So, I plan on following the advice posted on this site of how to build a bankroll.

Also, Alex1212 recommended to "post hands you feel uncomfortable about." Is this the best way to use this forum?

Thanks again.