Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Cold Call vs. Smooth Call

What is the difference?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Cold Call vs. Smooth Call

Cold call: Calling two or more bets without having yet made a call. IE you're in middle position with AQs, two limpers, a raise, and you "cold call" that raise.

Smooth call: A smooth call often implies slow playing a strong hand. IE you flopped quad 7's after you limped in from middle position with your pocket pair. And you "smooth call" someone who bets infront of you, as to try and build a monster pot with your monster hand.

g'luck
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cold call: Calling two or more bets without having yet made a call. IE you're in middle position with AQs, two limpers, a raise, and you "cold call" that raise.

Smooth call: A smooth call often implies slow playing a strong hand. IE you flopped quad 7's after you limped in from middle position with your pocket pair. And you "smooth call" someone who bets infront of you, as to try and build a monster pot with your monster hand.

g'luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - this is more or less what I thought.

I am wondering if you use cold call after the flop as well - in which case, the two would appear, to the outsider, to be identical actions.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if you use cold call after the flop as well - in which case, the two would appear, to the outsider, to be identical actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can use the term "cold call" after the flop.

Let's say you have 88 in mid position. Two limp, so do you, and both blinds are in. The flop 7h8h2h. You have top set, but the board is suited. The first limper bets, the second limper raises, you could then "cold call" because you have a strong redraw even if you are behind to a flush.

This would not be a "smooth call," there is a difference. A smooth call is always when you have the nuts, or your almost positive you are way ahead. (you can't be positive your way ahead with a set against a suited board) I have always looked at the term "cold call" as one applied to calling with a drawing hand.

I dont agonize smooth calling with a monster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you have 88 in mid position. Two limp, so do you, and both blinds are in. The flop 7h8h2h. You have top set, but the board is suited. The first limper bets, the second limper raises, you could then "cold call" because you have a strong redraw even if you are behind to a flush.

This would not be a "smooth call," there is a difference. A smooth call is always when you have the nuts, or your almost positive you are way ahead. (you can't be positive your way ahead with a set against a suited board) I have always looked at the term "cold call" as one applied to calling with a drawing hand.

I dont agonize smooth calling with a monster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand - my point is that if I am playing against you, there is no way for me to know if you are "cold calling" or "smooth calling".
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I understand - my point is that if I am playing against you, there is no way for me to know if you are "cold calling" or "smooth calling".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is where reading your opponent comes in.

Of course, you could always try asking him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can smooth call a single bet, but you cannot cold call a single bet. So if you bet and someone just calls, then they may be smooth calling, but they are not cold calling. Like wise often when I have AA in the BB and it is folded to the button who raises, I often smooth call if the pot will be heads up in order to generate action from him (I usually 3 bet, but sometimes I smooth call). This is not a cold call though.