Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Hank Aaron Being His Usual Racist Self

[ QUOTE ]
If Larry Bird said one team didn't have a white guy, and that this was a serious problem and the scouting department needed to take a serious evaluation, it would be the main story on every news station.

Face it, blacks get to play the race card, but they never have to have it pulled on them. It's a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Larry Bird or some other prominent white NBA player say something along these lines at some point recently? I don't remember the exact quote and I'm not 100% sure it was Bird but it was something about how the NBA needs more white players so that white fans can identify with the league more easily.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My definintion of racist is using race as factor in making decisions - not necessarily hating some race.

[/ QUOTE ]
then the word you're looking for is racial. you called him a racist, in fact, "his USUAL racist self"; you knew exactly how strong and loaded and negative that word is, don't try to bs your way out of it.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Larry Bird said one team didn't have a white guy, and that this was a serious problem and the scouting department needed to take a serious evaluation, it would be the main story on every news station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry Bird DID say that the league needed more white players. Yet you, who would presumably be sensitive to such things, don't realize that he did. So maybe it didn't create such a firestorm after all, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
Face it, blacks get to play the race card, but they never have to have it pulled on them. It's a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth are you talking about? Is your position that blacks are generally not subjected to racial criticism?

Your view is a common one. However, it is also simplistic. This is an issue that requires much thought, and it took me a long time before I realized what a superficial view I had of things and how misinformed I was about a lot of issues regarding race in America.

There are obviously legitimate reasons for minorities to be concerned about discrimination, since it's been a part of America since America existed. Like I said, I think Hank Aaron is off on this one, but it's not like blacks wonder about things like this out of nowhere. Do you think Hank Aaron may have ever seen some type of racism in baseball before? Do you think race still matters in America?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:33 AM

C.C. Sabathia, Arthur Rhodes - and hey, i only follow one team.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM

A Seattle Times analysis of active rosters, including players on disabled lists, showed that 8.9 percent (79 of 888 players) were African-American as of august 28, 2005.

link
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry Bird DID say that the league needed more white players. Yet you, who would presumably be sensitive to such things, don't realize that he did. So maybe it didn't create such a firestorm after all, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
ahahahahaha he just wasn't paying any attention at all to THE MAIN STORY ON EVERY NEWS STATION. it's a fact.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A Seattle Times analysis of active rosters, including players on disabled lists, showed that 8.9 percent (79 of 888 players) were African-American as of august 28, 2005.

link

[/ QUOTE ]

And only 5 starting pitchers.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM

Zeke Astacio, Willy Taveras, & Jose Vizcaino are all black.

They are latinos who happen to be black. Their ethnicity may be latino but their race is black. Saying they aren't black would be akin to saying Mike Piazza isn't white, he's "italian".
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeke Astacio, Willy Taveras, & Jose Vizcaino are all black.

They are latinos who happen to be black. Their ethnicity may be latino but their race is black. Saying they aren't black would be akin to saying Mike Piazza isn't white, he's "italian".

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

They're sure as hell not African Americans, which was the whole point anyway.......
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 AM

Doesn't matter whether they are african-american or african-dominican. The Astros have several black players on their team which is the point. Does anyone really think the Astros don't have any American born blacks by design? Trust me, the Stros would love to have a Barry Bonds or a Ken Griffey Jr. Actually, they tried trading for Griffey this year but the Reds' asking price was too high. Good thing too since he spent the end of the season on the DL.