Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: What\'s your move here and why?

I call the flop and see what he does on the turn. What good does raising do?? If he does not have a King, he will fold and you are WAY, WAY ahead, that is a bad thing. You want him in the hand. If he HAS a king, he will either hammer you and you will lose your raise or he will call you and then check the turn, forcing you to make a tough decision. So, raising the flop is out IMHO. You are NOT folding. So that only leaves calling!

Call the bet, Call any reasonable sized bet after that on the turn. Actually, I am calling this one all the way down. If he checks to me, I check behind. If he open pushes, I call. I might be a donkey, but I am calling this all the way down no matter what.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, us raisers are apparently retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I am a retard ... raise $300. If he pushes back, I'm pretty sure I'm beaten.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 PM

I did not read any of the replies yet so I may look like a donk here, but I think BB is testing Hero for a K by making the half pot bet. Without specific reads, he can have any two cards to make this play. He's heard Mike Van Sexton enough to know that you can "earn" pot by being aggessive.

Since you have position, I would either smooth call as if I had the K and wanted him to continue betting the turn, or possiblt make a reasonable reraise that doesn't commit too many chips. Maybe pop it to t200 and see what he does.

I might let it go on the turn if I'm unimproved and he gets aggressive.

John
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 AM

Really useful thread.

I went over the top with a minimum reraise and he folded.

This was OK. I took down a pot, made a few chips, it was early doors but I think better players play it differently so I posted.

I think the key phrase here is 'well behind or well ahead'. If you're behind, you lose the chips you reraise and potentially more. If you are ahead, he almost certainly folds at this stage of a tournie. He may call with a medium pair but then you're the one worried by the call and he had me outchipped 2 to 1.
So the raise doesn't appear to really help unless you're just happy to take the pot down and move on.
A call is also going to scare him but he may have another stab at the pot with a medium pair. He'll check an ace on the turn I feel. Naturally, the danger of the free card is that he trips his pair or finds the ace. However, if he finds the ace, he's still going to be scared about your call so I think you'll be able to afford to call any bets he makes. If he turns his pair into a boat on the turn or river, the betting will make that clear.
However, early in a low buy in tournie against the chip leader at the table, I'm not too unhappy with the raise and just taking the pot down then and there. Better players than me build bigger stacks by calling, I suspect.