Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 02:27 PM

Default What makes a good post?

I've made a number of posts on this sites and had lots of viewers and very few responses. I obviously am not posting interesting/relevant/intriquing hands. I am interested in advice on how to post in a way that will generate more response.

-RSS

Or is it my name (RichSaneSwindler ... a stupid name, but there is a reason I use it!)
Old 06-28-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: What makes a good post?

Luck of the draw. How many people are watching. If it goes into an area someone's interested in. If a flame war starts.

Just keep posting, and if you don't get responses, bump it.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM

one thing i noticed in one of your other posts: people generally dont repond as much to bad beat posts. even if they ask "what did i do wrong here?" because generally the viewer knows and the poster knows that it was a bad beat. the best posts are not posted for results reasons and should probably not even include the results. just my 2 cents
Old 06-28-2004, 03:15 PM

Cornell ... excellent point! No one likes a whiney self-indulgent loser coming off a bad beat and posting to the boards looking for a little comfort.

That said, I do no such thing! My posts, while generally bad beats, are usually highly analytical attempts to understand what I did wrong. I take the view that it only appears I got unluck, but in reality, I am systematically setting myself up for a fall. Anyhow, thanks for your advice.

-RSS
Old 06-28-2004, 03:21 PM

The posts I see that have the most success, use the nice: [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] symbols, are well written, have a direct question, and enough information to answer the question. ESPECIALLY information about the other players. That is critical for No Limit, since, "every hand's a winner, and every hand's a loser" as Kenny Rogers puts it.

A bad post is ANY bad beat post like, "Well, I had AA and he raised pre, and I shoved, and his J10 suited beat me!!! What did I do wrong?!?!" I mean, come on people, you KNOW you didn't do anything wrong, and if you think you did, get off the forum and come sit at my table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 03:45 PM

if you're posting an online hand, use bisonbison's fancy converter (it's easy). i don't have the link handy but you can find it if you look around a bit at posts.

only post one hand at a time, or at the most, 2.

try to (obviously) post a hand that has at least one tough/questionable decision.

it's ok to post hands that don't reach a showdown - those are sometimes the most interesting because there's more speculation about what the villain had.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:48 PM

Thanks all, very helpful. I use the hand converter, excellent tool, but I think I do not put enough info about the players to be useful. It could just be that my decisions are so blindingly stupid that there is nothing much to say!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:30 PM

hey keep posting your hands, ill reply to all of them from now on with my opinions.

GL
Old 06-28-2004, 04:52 PM

It helps to be a regular poster. I almost always view threads by people I know on this site whereas I rarely read threads started by people I don't know, like you.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:55 PM

Bruiser ... that hurts! Well, now you know me, so I hope we can start a dialogue and I will definitely put my two cents in next time I see one of your posts (I've seen a lot but have not posted yet).

-RSS