Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Flopped a Full House?

Stars $2/$4 NL, 9 handed

I am in the CO seat and get 44. UTG+1 calls, I call, SB completes, BB checks. (4 to see the flop).

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet $8, only the SB calls. Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB checks I bet $8, SB calls. River is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and SB bets $24, I make the crying call, and SB shows K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the bigger full house.

Did I do anything wrong? Should I have bet more on the turn?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Flopped a Full House?

I think sometimes you just lose. However, I was thinking around $24 bet on the turn would have been better. After his caught his king, however, he probably wasn't going anywhere.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 AM

Man, tough river. You have to realize at this point that yo're behind any 8 or K, and it seems pretty apparent he has one. Your river call really depends on your read of him. If he's tricky then a call is in order. Otherwise you might want to consider laying it down.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:54 AM

Easy fold on the river. Would you call with pocket nines on that board? If not then don't call with pocket 4's.

Lousy river but no need to pay him off. I don't mind trapping here, although you should bet more like 20 on the turn, since he may be on a flush draw but once that 2nd pair hits the board you have to muck.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 AM

i would have bet more on the turn for sure. it wouldn't really be because i was all that worried about somebody hitting a 4-outer; it's more just to get money in while you're (almost definitely) ahead.

also, if the other guy smooth-called an 8 on the flop (which is pretty likely given that he limped and then called a bet w/ a paired board) betting more will make his raise on the turn more, and then your 3-bet can be huge.

in this situation brunson recommends (in S/S) overbetting the pot on the flop because you'll only get real action from an 8 (who will likely not fold to the overbet anyway) and because your hand is a little bit vulnerable (as you learned).

(edit: originally called villain's 4-outer a 2-outer)
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 AM

I would have looked to check raise the flop. If you give a free heart that is fine and you get paid big on the turn. The line you took was very straight forward and that is fine, however you have to lay down to the river bet. You called out of frustration when you had to put him on the 8 (the K was much tougher to nail him on). I think if you check raise at some point it may scare him a bit, but really the way the cards turned and rivered you just ran into a tough break, but you could have saved $24 on the river by not calling with a near certain loser.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:56 PM

I think you just hit some tough luck. You flopped the best hand unless somebody has 88 or 84. You bet 2BB into a $16 pot on the flop. I think this was a good bet because you want somebody to catch up, especailly with the flush draw on board. I would probably bet the pot on the turn and fold to his bet on the river though.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:05 PM

I think you played the hand wrong. Bet like your opponent has an 8, then you'll win a lot of money when they do.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:13 PM

The problem w/ this hand is that you put $20 in w/ the best hand and $24 in w/ the worst hand.

As others have suggested, bet more on the turn.

The river call is very player dependent. Looks like there's about $48 in the pot, so it's a half pot bet. Will your opponent bluff a missed flush draw enough of the time for that to be a good call?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have looked to check raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't check-raise when you are last to act (he was CO and Button was not in the game).