Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Flopped a Full House?

i would bet 3/4 pot on the turn. there are lots of hands that might pay you off, as well as hands that you don't want drawing too cheaply. if he just caught his king, then he might pay you off with very few outs, and if he has a flush draw, he might pay too. i think it would also be possible for him to have an 8 with a crappy kicker. any card pairing would bring him ahead of you as well. i am not sure if i would pay off on the river. he clearly likes that river. i would put him on an 8 or k.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 PM

After the hand, I realized I should have bet more on the turn (3/4 pot sounds about right), and I definitely should have folded on the river.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 PM

I agree, the river is foldable.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:51 PM

I've made that river call all too often. It's beginning to sink in. People don't put a lot at risk on a bluff that often. The bigger the bet, the lower the likelihood it's a bluff.

Regarding the flop, Brunson does represent overbetting the pot when you flop the underfull. The logic is that you'll fold out most hands but win a huge pot if someone flopped two pair or trips. What he doesn't say, though, is what he would do if there was a flush draw. Some of the biggest pots I have ever seen won were on the occasion when one person makes a full while at the same time the other play makes a full house.

But, your opponent did not have the nut flush draw, so in my view this play was weakened by the fact that if the flush card had hit on the turn you might have folded him out anyway. If there had been a pre-flop raise indicating that your opponent might be drawing to the nut flush draw, instead of just a flush, I might have been into checking. As it was, I would have overbet the flop.