Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 04:10 AM

Default Anyone make a play for this pot with a raise somewhere?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 14.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.20 BB, between Hero, CO and BB.</font>
Old 06-20-2004, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Anyone make a play for this pot with a raise somewhere?

I fold this preflop.

I fold on the flop. A BB bet out into a preflop raiser and a coldcaller on this flop? I think this is a pretty easy flop fold. It is almost impossible you are drawing to a full pot with your gutshot draw, and almost certain it's going to get raised behind you.

I think you are clearly beaten on the turn and river.

I would have folded this hand on all four streets.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:31 PM

I think I agree with a lot of what you said. Preflop, is debatable, you either play AJo early or you don't. On the flop I was about to fold when bet in to with several behind me left to act, but for what ever reason decided to see what happened.

Then no raise from CO on flop, then it checked through to CO on turn so I felt pretty good about my hand (I would have folded had preflop bettor bet again).

At this point I think there is good chance I have best hand since there was so little action.

I called the river and ended up splitting the pot with CO who also showed AJ. I know this doesnt mean I necessarily made good decisions though....
Old 06-20-2004, 02:45 PM

I'd raise preflop (CO probably folds there) and bet/raise the flop (CO almost certainly folds there.)

AJ's a good hand to raise early, IMO, simply because it makes AJ and the occasional AQ fold.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:20 PM

I would consider folding on the flop, but seeing how BB is posibly betting a draw I'd wait to see what developed...

I would throw it away on the turn... It looks like CO has a hand and was hoping to disguise it and get it bet for him, untill BB foiled him by checking... I'd think most players would only do this with kings or better... he had AJ however so looks like you lucked out...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ's a good hand to raise early, IMO, simply because it makes AJ and the occasional AQ fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this move for a couple of reasons.
1. you probably won't push many stronger hands out, and your hand isn't strong enough with callers.
2. if you raise and get callers, even if you flop an A it's likely you're behind. why not limp and then if no one raises it's likely your ace is ahead. same info fewer bets.
3. you act first. if you get callers you have to act first on the flop, AJ isn't a strong enough hand (unless you have a super TAG image) to bet out unimproved on the flop.
4. if it gets raised back at you, the only flops you want to see are Jxx or TQK
5. save your UTG raises for hands like AA, KK, QQ, AK, and sometimes AQs... AJo is just a little too LAG for my taste
Old 06-20-2004, 04:02 PM

Anyone make a play for this pot with a raise somewhere?

Yeah. Preflop