Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 10:15 PM

Default (22) Good spot for a stop and go?

Last hand guys, it’s just that my last session brought up allot of situations that I am not really sure on. I really appreciate all the help, thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t670)
MP (t1430)
Button (t2735)
SB (t2400)
Hero (t765)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Button calls t565.

Turn: (t1015) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1015) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1015

BB default raise screams a steal to me. I put him on any PP, any ace, any brodway, and mid connectors. Do you think this is a good spot for a stop'n go? I dont think he well lay down to a reraise.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (22) Good spot for a stop and go?

[ QUOTE ]
Last hand guys, it’s just that my last session brought up allot of situations that I am not really sure on. I really appreciate all the help, thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t670)
MP (t1430)
Button (t2735)
SB (t2400)
Hero (t765)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Button calls t565.

Turn: (t1015) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1015) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1015

BB default raise screams a steal to me. I put him on any PP, any ace, any brodway, and mid connectors. Do you think this is a good spot for a stop'n go? I dont think he well lay down to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
if it screams steal then push pre-flop
Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 PM

But I am sure he will call with almost any hand. For example I dont think he will fold 87s to a push pre flop.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I am sure he will call with almost any hand. For example I dont think he will fold 87s to a push pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]which means you're a favourite.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youre kinda totally missing the point....
Old 10-30-2005, 10:38 PM

But he will still call with an ace and better kings.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youre kinda totally missing the point....

[/ QUOTE ]he's getting his opponents to put his chips in as a dog
Old 10-30-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Obviously you're not just running into 87s, you'll also run into hands that are much better than this. Even against the 87s, you're only 52% (if they're suited in a different suit from your K and 5).

2. Winning his 200 chips without a showdown is much better than going all in as a 52% favorite, even though "you are a favorite." We're looking for the best way to do this.

I'm personally not very proficient at the stop-and-go and don't use it very much, but I see nothing wrong with using it here. Experts' opinions?

-SonnyJay
Old 10-30-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Obviously you're not just running into 87s, you'll also run into hands that are much better than this. Even against the 87s, you're only 52% (if they're suited in a different suit from your K and 5).

2. Winning his 200 chips without a showdown is much better than going all in as a 52% favorite, even though "you are a favorite." We're looking for the best way to do this.

I'm personally not very proficient at the stop-and-go and don't use it very much, but I see nothing wrong with using it here. Experts' opinions?

-SonnyJay

[/ QUOTE ]i'm not saying a stop and go is wrong, but
when you're throwing in the rest of your stack on a stop n go, you're essentially freerolling him to stack you when he hits, yet he folds if he's behind. i'm not sure if this is the best situation for it.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're essentially freerolling him to stack you when he hits, yet he folds if he's behind. i'm not sure if this is the best situation for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this concept is true of any stop-and-go. The idea is that he'll fold when he misses, plus any bonuses of him folding when he hits on an ugly flop (he has T9 on a 9KA board...will he call?) Of course, you also account for the times when he "sniffs out the stop-and go" and calls with AK on the ragged flop. I've got midterms tomorrow and don't really feel like doing the math, but I think the idea is that against a typical opponent this is better than taking your likely 55-45 at best situation as a preflop all in. This seems like one of those situations.

-SonnyJay