Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: pillars of the earth (possible spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
Besides some of Follets other books (I personally reccomend a key to rebecca), George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series is another good read that is similar pillars.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one i already know - anxiously awaiting AFFC as we speak.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the 1st ken follett book i have read. which one would you recommend i read next?

[/ QUOTE ]

"A Dangerous Fortune" definitely has the same multigenerational scope, and some of the same epic qualities (allusions to large developments in politics and economics) as "Pillars of the Earth."

I really like his thrillers in general. "Eye of the Needle," "Key to Rebecca," and "The Man from St. Petersburg" are all very good.

I like some of the later stuff, too, like "Jackdaws," "Flight of the Hornet," "Countdown to Zero," and even "Lie Down With Lions."

Stabn, which ones have you found lacking and why?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A Dangerous Fortune" definitely has the same multigenerational scope, and some of the same epic qualities (allusions to large developments in politics and economics) as "Pillars of the Earth."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think I will check this one out next. After The Last Kingdom and AFFC, that is...man, I must have about 20 books in my queue right now.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 PM

The Hammer of Eden, Code TO Zero, and white out. White out is sitting on my floor with a bookmark about 70 pages into it and will probably never be finished. His most revent book that was a solid read is Hornet Flight (again, another period book). He really needs to stick to them as everything else he writes is crap.

Edit: I just checked amazon's avg customer reviews for his books and those 3 are by far the worst rated novels by Follett. I should probably also get hornet flight
Old 10-20-2005, 01:55 PM

The Hammer of Eden was bad. I didn't mind Code to Zero as much, but I didn't like it a ton either...

Thinking about these other Follett books made me realize I'm not reading anything good right now... and since there are too many what book should I read threads right now anyway I thought I'd just ask here:

What should I read next? I gerenarly prefer longer, more "epic" stories. It can be classic literature, or modern.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I read next? I gerenarly prefer longer, more "epic" stories. It can be classic literature, or modern.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like epic and haven't read any of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series that has already been mentioned in this thread a couple of times...get reading - you won't be disappointed.

Another recommendation I frequently make is Bernard Cornwell's The Winter King - Enemy of God - Excalibur trilogy. It is a very unique and engrossing take on the classic Arthurian legend, told completely from the viewpoint of one of Arthur's men. It is not fantastical at all - it is more of a historically feasible version of how the legend may have come about.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Cryptonomicon?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:23 PM

So Neal Stephenson is good? I almost picked up a hardcover copy of Quicksilver for $6 at B+N simpley because it was cheap and sounded interesting. But after reading mixed reviews on Amazon, I decided against it and basically forgot all about it.

So I assume Cryptonomicon would be a better place to start?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find a some of the court intrigue in Quicksilver too dense. it picks up, but I found myself dragging through the first couple hundred pages.

Cryptonomicon was not like that for me at all. I took it with me on a business trip across the Atlantic. Huge mistake. While I should have been sleeping on the plane, I read instead. Could not put it down.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find a some of the court intrigue in Quicksilver too dense. it picks up, but I found myself dragging through the first couple hundred pages.

Cryptonomicon was not like that for me at all. I took it with me on a business trip across the Atlantic. Huge mistake. While I should have been sleeping on the plane, I read instead. Could not put it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think he should start with Diamond Age?

Cryptonom=Really good
Quicksilver series=very good
Snow Crash=Rather good

Diamond Age= Incredible/Life-changing/Almost Gene Wolfe-ish