Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Default UTG says: nice turn on your ak

So i make a "dumb-bet" on flop hoping he would would make stab at the pot. Mistake to min raise his 8$ raise? Big mistake to lead out on the turn since he obviously thought i had AK?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($139.2)
MP2 ($191)
MP3 ($90.5)
CO ($197)
Button ($192)
Hero ($226.25)
BB ($253)
UTG ($129.25)
UTG+1 ($38)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $19</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $16, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($46) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, UTG calls $8.

Turn: ($82) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, UTG folds.

UTG says: nice turn on your ak

Final Pot: $127
Old 04-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: UTG says: nice turn on your ak

Holy crap. $2 into a $40 dollar pot? His $10 is still just a drop in the bucket. Re-raise to $40 right there and hope he pushes. By the way, why did you re-raise this preflop?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap. $2 into a $40 dollar pot? His $10 is still just a drop in the bucket. Re-raise to $40 right there and hope he pushes. By the way, why did you re-raise this preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

The $2 bet was supposed to simulate a stopbet that i see alot in low buyin tournaments. I havent played cashgame in ages.

My mini-raise seems moronic with some hindsight.

I was almost expetcing to pick it up preflop since his miniraise UTG did reek of weakness. Dumb thinking?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Min raise UTG = great hand in my experience.

He probably had JJ or QQ, most likely QQ cause it matches up so nicely against AK so thats what he expected to be facing.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm not sure how his PF bet reeked of weakness? It's 4xBB UTG. Seems pretty solid to me. Then you make it $19 to go with a pair of 10s? Seems to me that if he calls that and you don't flop a set you're paying him off....I know I'd only be calling that QQ, KK, AA or AKs. Sure, you get control of the hand but it seems like a big price to pay to do so.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:38 PM

SB is $1, BB is $2. His PF raise was a min-raise.

Anyway, he pretty clearly has a pair here and you really have to either check this flop if you know he will bet, or bet at least $15 to induce a bluff. $2 to induce a bluff is weak, and only something I ever do on the 2+2 game because then it's funny.

Then when he raises so small, you have to raise big. Get money in there.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how his PF bet reeked of weakness? It's 4xBB UTG. Seems pretty solid to me. Then you make it $19 to go with a pair of 10s? Seems to me that if he calls that and you don't flop a set you're paying him off....I know I'd only be calling that QQ, KK, AA or AKs. Sure, you get control of the hand but it seems like a big price to pay to do so.

Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is 2$, he raised 1BB. To me that signals he got medicore hand that he wants to play but dont want the blinds in... i am probably totaly wrong and need to reprogram my mindset from tournaments to ringgames.

The general rule is too respect UTGs even at such low game as the party $200?
Old 04-16-2005, 11:09 PM

Wow, I don't like this hand at all. Don't re-raise an UTG raiser preflop with TT. Losing play. No chance you have him dominated, decent chance he has you dominated. Perfect opportunity to take him for a lot of chips when you hit your set. An opportunity you won't have when he re-re-raises you preflop.

Flop, is that a joke? You re-raised preflop, he called. He almost definitely has an overpair to this flop. He will very likely raise you or at least call a big bet. MAKE A BIG BET, PLEASE!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The $2 bet was supposed to simulate a stopbet that i see alot in low buyin tournaments. I havent played cashgame in ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love you tournament players in my cash games...

lead the flop, but make it a real bet...$35 or so. if he really thinks you have AK, then he'll raise you and you'll make a crapload more money than what you did.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:30 AM

I wont comment preflop. I think you have to check the turn. Or show a little more weakness with your bet. You've repped AK preflop. Acting scared of that king will probably be a winning play 90% of the time. Even if he had the runner runner flush draw and hit on the river I am willing to pay this off. I love turtling up on the turn with a monster, especially if I have played passively for a bit. Your river bet will get called more often than a turn bet with the preflop action.