Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Pacific Poker increased the rake to $5.

Yes I did(just cut back my driving to the bare minimum), but I live in a big city with good PT and I don't need to drive to work.......
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I live in a big city with good PT and I don't need to drive to work.......

[/ QUOTE ]

You have PokerTracker for your car? What's your Voluntarily Put the Petal To The Medal percentage? (a.k.a. VPPM)
Old 11-03-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought with increased competition the rake would drop? Where are the posters that have an economics degree, please tell us how Pacific Poker(and other sites) is defying the laws of economics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, they are not defying the laws of economics.

Baaah, Baaah, people are sheep. Did you stop driving your car when gas in the US jumped to $3.50 a gallon?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but if there were 50 other gas stations selling it for $2.50 I would probably buy from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do fish look at a room's website for the rake schedule? Do they look in their Poker Tracker software for total rake paid (wait, no PT)?

Probably 90% of online players have no clue of the real effect of the rake. I'm sure many of them are so desensitized to seeing $2 or $3 going up next to the dealer that they don't even think of what their share of this represents.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Pacific Poker increased the rake to $4.

So it's up to 5 bucks at the higher limits. If you play those limits, you might as well hit the B&M. Why don't they have a tip the dealer, too. Then it would be the same since you can't play more than one table.

http://www.pacificpoker.com/en/onlin...ting-limits--2,3.htm#Rake
Old 11-03-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Probably 90% of online players have no clue of the real effect of the rake. I'm sure many of them are so desensitized to seeing $2 or $3 going up next to the dealer that they don't even think of what their share of this represents.

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep on saying this whenever rake increases are discussed, but in reality the transparency of the fee doesn't matter a great deal in the long run. The rake still affects the bottom line of the poor players just as much as it matters to the good players. The poor players may not notice it in their pokertracker database, but they will sure notice it when then begin to lose their weekly/monthly/whatever deposit much more quickly.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep on saying this whenever rake increases are discussed, but in reality the transparency of the fee doesn't matter a great deal in the long run. The rake still affects the bottom line of the poor players just as much as it matters to the good players. The poor players may not notice it in their pokertracker database, but they will sure notice it when then begin to lose their weekly/monthly/whatever deposit much more quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may or may not notice it. They'll notice they're losing faster, but they could just as easily think they're unlucky or it's rigged even more ( [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

I think part of the problem is that if we get the really bad players to start thinking about rake, then maybe they'll start thinking about some other things.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Pacific Poker increased the rake to $4.

You still will get double the hands in, no gas and the waiting time will be less(also no 5 dollar sandwiches). But even Pacific games are now harder than the same limit live....... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought with increased competition the rake would drop? Where are the posters that have an economics degree, please tell us how Pacific Poker(and other sites) is defying the laws of economics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, they are not defying the laws of economics.

Baaah, Baaah, people are sheep. Did you stop driving your car when gas in the US jumped to $3.50 a gallon?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker is an inelastic good?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They may or may not notice it. They'll notice they're losing faster, but they could just as easily think they're unlucky or it's rigged even more

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, in the short run the losses will be attributed to bad luck or such.

In the long run, however, if the poor players consistently loose at a higher rate than at other card rooms there will be a migration of poor players to rooms with a lower rake, just as when there was a migration of good players away from partpoker.com to skins that offered rakeback.

A high rake harms the ability of a card room to attract and maintain a base of players regardless of skill level.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 PM

I don't think so you don't need a government license to start up a site. You just need capital and pockets to cover your site when it's small and has more props/bonus hustlers then dumping donkeys.........