Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Am I missinig something?

[ QUOTE ]
A Hellmuth blow up definitely would have been hilarious and expected, especially given teh history between Hoyte and Hellmuth at previous WPT event I forget which one. Anyone can help here?

(Hellmuth was getting owned by Hoyte and upon his exit told Hoyte "I can't wait to get you next time Hoyte")

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the World Poker Finals at Foxwoods. Great episode, esp. that hand where Hoyt hit running sevens vs. Hellmuth.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:05 AM

Yes thanks Tyler -- that was the episode. Very entertaining stuff between the "big boys" (Helmuth vs Corkins). I was rooting for Muhammed in the heads-up vs Corkins -- too bad Muhammed folded his two pair Corkins bluff flush draw (I believe).

On another note, from the USPC Interview of Hoyte, I am inferring that Hoyte has been badly broke from poker before (he said something like learning from his past mistake). It's uncanny how a soft spoken guy like him has such an aggressive style, and is apparently a devout Christian southerner.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: 2004 USPC final table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going from a $1m+ chip lead with 9 left to finishing 7th, with the beats he was getting, would make most rational people do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I genuinely felt bad for the guy. I mean, D'Agostino looked closer to a nervous breakdown than anyone I've ever seen playing poker on television.

And he would have been perfectly justified in having one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definately looked like he was going to cry. I would have cried too. Having 1.5m and your closest opponent has 500k going into the final table and losing to Hoyt the way he did. Definately a tough loss. the next hand when his KK got cracked by QQ and JJ was just sick. I mean, he definately wasn't going to come back and win it, but that hand had to just make his day that much worse.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, from the USPC Interview of Hoyte, I am inferring that Hoyte has been badly broke from poker before (he said something like learning from his past mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing something about how Hoyt played the tournament circuit full time over ten years ago and then just disappeared. I'm guessing he went broke, but got back into tournament poker.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:23 AM

i don't know what i would have done if i was jdags.....if what he did was out of line, then i probably would have been hauled to the insane asylum or barred from TV like 2 live crew or somethin. I don't think anybody listed the hand where he had aces cracked by the semibluffing J5 on a k44 board w/ 2 diamonds...

i would have flipped out...gods honest truth. That was unbearable to watch

--Corkins push there was definitely insane. it makes very little sense to me since the only hand that is callin him is one that has him beat by a mile, and there isn't that much of an upside to the play.

but i do like jdags bluff w/ the Aces on board against hollander. I've made the same call that hollander has in that situation.....and looked at 3 aces a few times [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it--you play for days, hoping someone makes the mistake that Corkins made (and it was a TERRIBLE mistake, seemingly very out of character for him), then you have to parlay this event by actually holding a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth said that Hoyt pushed all in on him dozens of times at their WPT final table. I'm certain he was chip leader there, but it isn't like the players at that final table were insanely short stacked.

I don't know how you can say this is "out of character" for Corkins, this seems to be a play he does all the time, risking a huge amount of chips for the blinds.

WJ
Old 03-27-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What positions were they in, what was the exact preflop action? How big were the blinds and the size of the raise? I didn't have the volume turned up. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man.

It was folded around to Corkins in the SB. They each had somewhere around 650K. It was so close, in fact, that D'Agostino had ONE CHIP left after he took the beat.

Not sure of the blinds/antes because they don't really tell you very often. But they couldn't have been TOO high, because the two of them were still in 2nd and 3rd chip positions and I know it hadn't gotten to a bad point yet.

There was no earthly reason for Corkins to push there. It was just plain weird, I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay thanks much. I didn't realize it was a battle of the blinds. That is pretty horrid.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can say this is "out of character" for Corkins, this seems to be a play he does all the time, risking a huge amount of chips for the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in this tournament in particular, he had been playing fairly tight.

At least in the hands that got shown.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 PM

I think jdags could have found a better situation to push his chips in. The situation didn't allow for him to re-raise and push out a blind steal. He was calling for his life with an equal stack. How much of his stack had he already lost for him to be equal with Hoyt at that time???

Was he steaming???

With the editing they do, and the small number of hands shown you could see exactly what was going to happen when he called. I was screaming for him to fold.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:34 PM

What exactly happened behavior-wise with D'Agostino?