Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Table Talk Outburst

$10 Party, four players are left.

The biggest stack (T3,300) is at the river with a medium stack (T1,000) who calls all in on the river. It's an unusual board like 2 3 3 5 7. The shortest stack (t500) who is not in the hand types "call !" in the chat. Ten seconds later the big stack calls and takes the pot, medium stack is gone.

The medium stack goes absolutely berserck for about 5 minutes cursing in the chat for illegal table talk. His argument was that any form of chat during a hand was illegal was "table talk". The small stack said since he didn't give away any of his cards or advise anyone who's cards he'd seen there was nothing unethical.

Is there anything in Party policies that make's this illegal or against policy ?? I see this all the time and fail to see what the big deal was.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Table Talk Outburst

I don't know about party's policy on this. I have turned in a few people for saying what cards they folded while the hand is playing and party has shut down their chat. I see the "call" "hes bluffing" junk all the time, and I can't decide if its okay or not. Usually I think its just someone wanting people gone (and i only see it at the SnG's) If the person talking has some sort of insight into the other player, like a tell or something, then I definitely think its wrong and should be stopped. I suppose no matter how you look at it its coaching, and shouldn't be there.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:09 PM

This would certainly be illegal in B&M (at least in my local) Never see this outside sit 'n go's either
Old 03-20-2004, 05:22 PM

The shortest stack (t500) who is not in the hand types "call !" in the chat. Ten seconds later the big stack calls and takes the pot, medium stack is gone.

The medium stack goes absolutely berserck for about 5 minutes ....

Is there anything in Party policies that make's this illegal or against policy ?? I see this all the time and fail to see what the big deal was.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big deal is that his table talk may have influenced the game. I usually report this when I see it. I think anyone who does this should be reprimanded by the site management, and repeat offenders should be barred from play.

Jonathan
Old 03-21-2004, 02:00 AM

I've seen this before a lot, now, I don't think its illegal, just bad form. There is no reason to get involved in two other players hands. However, on party, you have SO SO many morons, that most of them don't know better. And I certainly don't think PartyPoker support would give a crap about this. If the player complained through email, he probably wouldn't even get a reply because Party is so big and swamped with other stuff and this is SO minor.

Ryan_21
Old 03-21-2004, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think anyone who does this should be reprimanded by the site management, and repeat offenders should be barred from play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it this way.

1. PartyPoker is SO big. At any one point in time they have atleast 40,000 players online.

2 Out of those 40k players, most of them are idiots who don't know better. Recreational gamblers there to have a good time.

Why would PartyPoker want to reprimand someone who most likely is a recreational gambler there to have fun? He probably doesnt know better and if you are Party you are trying to run a business where you dont piss customers off. There would be nothing good out of reprimanding someone for something this minor. Not to mention the fact that Pary is so big that they probably wouldnt give a crap about something this minor. Its not b+m, with mostly local customers, its world wide. And even Party, as dumb as rocks as their customer support is, they'd have to realize that the majority of their customers are morons, who don't know any better.

Ryan_21
Old 03-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Whenever I have wanted to scream "CALL!" to the big stack to improve my chances of more money, I type in "ty" but don't hit <Enter> yet. I wait for the hand to finish. If the big stack calls an all-in and takes out a stack that had me covered I hit enter, otherwise I delete it. I think waiting until after the hand is finished is appropriate since while you are out of the hand, you are not out of the tourny. Railbirds are another thing entirely because they have no stake in it and are generally just looking for action which is why they yell for the call.

Vern
Old 03-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I wonder if he'd have been irate if he had the winning hand and doubled through.

Probably not.

b
Old 03-22-2004, 03:13 PM

This is not just unethical, it is illegal and basically is the same as any other type of collusion. This kind of table talk is not allowed in b&m games or online. A player not in the hand cannot attempt to influence the actions of a player involved in the hand. If a player gets reported for doing this enough times at any site I am sure that they would lose their account, even at Party.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:08 PM

Perhaps this is illegal/unethical as others have said, but this seems awfully trivial to me. Of course the small stack wants a call. If he said "Call, I folded one of the aces", then I could see a problem.