Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-31-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Help please...

Okay, so I have my computers networked. One playing computer and one data mining computer. I can add the database on my mining computer to PT and have PA display the stats. It's nice when it works but it's just too slow. What are my hardware options to make this work better?

1 - Will a dedicated hard drive on my mining computer help? Currently PA is trying to read from a database that is being updated, on a hard drive that is being written to. If the database was on a seperate drive, I know PT would be able to import the hand histories easier. But would PA be quicker?

2 - Both computers are in the same room. Can I connect the two computers together with a cord of some sort to get transfer rates much higher than over a network?

3 - Would more memory in my laptop be an answer? Or a more powerful laptop? I'm using a dell 9300 with over 1.5 gig of memory. I think it's the networked database because if I remove that database from PA, it runs MUCH MUCH quicker. Thanks,

Krishan
Old 12-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Help please...

"2 - Both computers are in the same room. Can I connect the two computers together with a cord of some sort to get transfer rates much higher than over a network?"

this is most likely the problem. Instead of using the wireless network, use ethernet cables from both computers to your router. It should be easier to setup than the wireless. The transfer rates inside the network will be much much faster.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:30 PM

How big is the db file? How are they networked?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:09 PM

gigabit ethernet would be great for this (10/100/1000)
Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big is the db file? How are they networked?

[/ QUOTE ]

DB file is between 100-1900 MB depending on where I am in the mining cycle. Both computers are on the same wireless network.

Krishan
Old 12-31-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is most likely the problem. Instead of using the wireless network, use ethernet cables from both computers to your router. It should be easier to setup than the wireless. The transfer rates inside the network will be much much faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much less feasible to move the router to the room where my computers are set up. Do I really need to connect them through the router? I can't just link them directly?

Also I'm willing to commit serious finances to get this to work somehow. So if someone can think of an esoteric solution that works, fabulous.

Krishan
Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gigabit ethernet would be great for this (10/100/1000)

[/ QUOTE ]

Researched crossover cables. So the idea is I buy a hub/switch and plug my computers together by connecting them both to the hub/switch? And then they will have a connection independent of the wireless network they are both connected to?

And are we really sure this will impact the performance of PA? Any tests I can run? For instance it sprang to mind that the SQL running to pull up data probably runs on the mining machine (right?) and that maybe the importing process on that machine is locking it up to the point where PA has trouble getting access to the DB.

Krishan
Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 PM

i don't think it's very likely that your network is the bottleneck in this process. how are they currently linked? to test, you could measure the amount of network activity on the two computers and see if it's pegging out at the max speed of the link. but i'd be pretty suprised if this were the case.

i bet, as you did, it's poor sql performance on the mining computer that's slowing it down. it's either a lack of resources or like you said, some sort of locking problem caused while also importing.

what happens if you tell PA to use the remote, mined database, but you aren't mining at the same time? is it still slow?

if this is the case, then the queries are just running slowly. you will have to throw more hardware at the mining machine. maybe more memory, faster disk, dedicated disk, etc.

if you haven't already i would edit the postgresql.conf on the mining computer and make sure the database is using all the physical memory you can spare for it. the default settings don't cause the db to use a lot of memory. increase the shared_buffers and work_mem settings, do a little research to see how much depending on how much free mem you typically have. this should cause it to hit the disk a little less.