Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Semibluffing the turn

Is semibluffing profitable in the turn in a 1/2$ game shorthanded?

I got a flush draw Ace high and raise the turn heads up in a semibluff, with trhhe hearts on the table the man called my raise and bet the river anyway then i folded.

A second example is that i had a open ended straigh draw and no overcards in my pocket i was almost sure he hasnt anything big, then i raise the turn and he calls. In the river the straigh didnt come i bet again in a pure bluff only to be called and lose 2$ more agains a pair of 4 (being several overcards on the flop) i ask wheter against so extremely loose players it is simply better to raise te turn only to see a free showdown.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Semibluffing the turn

well, it depends a whole lot on the board and the action. You really need to do some handreading to make this profitable.

In general, semibluffing a calling station is counterintuitive.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM

I used to routinely semi-bluff when I picked up a draw too -- but eventually I learned that a key part of the semi-bluff is the "bluff" part. It doesn't really have any value if there's no chance the other guy will fold.

So do it against your thinking TAGs who may be making continuation bets or who may fold middle pair or low pocket pairs on the turn, but just check and call against the guys who are sticking around with 44 on the AKT8 board.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Semi-bluff derives it's value from the times you improve and win the extra bet plus the times you get the other guy to fold a better hand on the spot. If he never folds or won't fold enough of the time, the semibluff play won't have enough value to make it worthwhile.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Raise the flop and take a free card instead, that way you can see the river cheaper. This works especially well against passives.

Also, your equity is much better on the flop, so it doesn't hurt so much to get a call.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:22 PM

tyvm