Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Default A question about Jesus Christ\'s resurrection

So according to the Bible the first witnesses to the empty grave and Christ's resurrection were two women (his mother and Mary Magdalene). Now women at the time were considered inferior to men, and could not testify in court.

So why were they used as the first witnesses in the Bible?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: A question about Jesus Christ\'s resurrection

the answer to this, and most other biblical questions, is speculation at best.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:16 PM

Because that's what happened?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because that's what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious answers only please.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 AM

No, I agree with Jeff V. It's because those two women were the first to see Him. Oh, it's not logical... well that aside.
If the resurrection was a hoax, then it would make for a much stronger claim if it was a man who saw Jesus first.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 AM

Because the life of Jesus and His redemption marked the beginning of a new covenant given to men to replace the old. Thus He also changed the previously more lenient rules regarding marriage which allowed Jews to divorce. And because God has a preferential option for the poor and the humble, and wishes us to as well. A reading of the Gospel shows that the poor and humble are the ones to whom Jesus often showed favor, and in fact condemned most of the rich and powerful. Part of the reason for this is that as I said in the thread I started on why some won't believe, those who are humble are more likely to be receptive to the Word of God and to act justly toward other men.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the life of Jesus and His redemption marked the beginning of a new covenant given to men to replace the old. Thus He also changed the previously more lenient rules regarding marriage which allowed Jews to divorce. And because God has a preferential option for the poor and the humble, and wishes us to as well. A reading of the Gospel shows that the poor and humble are the ones to whom Jesus often showed favor, and in fact condemned most of the rich and powerful. Part of the reason for this is that as I said in the thread I started on why some won't believe, those who are humble are more likely to be receptive to the Word of God and to act justly toward other men.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does infringing upon women's rights by disallowing divorce have to do with women being witnesses? Furthermore your comment about the humble being more receptive is ironic considering the first part is talking about male chauvinism.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM

You might want to read up on a matter before you draw the ignorant conlusions you would anyway. The point regarding that was that Jesus changed many aspects of the former covenant with the Jews. And your pc femininist tirade is hilarious and shows you are not familiar with the OT's rules on divorce and who could and could not do one.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to read up on a matter before you draw the ignorant conlusions you would anyway. The point regarding that was that Jesus changed many aspects of the former covenant with the Jews. And your pc femininist tirade is hilarious and shows you are not familiar with the OT's rules on divorce and who could and could not do one.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reply was a question and it still stands. You say the women were there because jesus changed the legall code making it more difficult to obtain divorce. I don't see how this is a reason. I appologize if I'm not familiar enough with your theology to see the connection.

"your pc femininist tirade"

I wasn't trying to be politically correct. Furthermore tirade is defined as

[ QUOTE ]

A long angry or violent speech, usually of a censorious or denunciatory nature; a diatribe.

[/ QUOTE ]
(dictionary.com)

This was not a speech nor was it long. I also wasn't angry.