Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-24-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Quit showing your cards when you fold in a multi-way pot!

This keeps happening to me. I make a husky bet into a multi-way pot with several players left. Along the way someone folds face up showing a good hand as if to say "I'm making a great laydown", while there are still players left to act. Over and over this has cost me money.

Most recently I was in the BB with KK and raised when it came around. Guy along the way folds AJ and smiles at me. Next guy, who's been pretty wild and willing to call most pre-flop raises says "oh--well these are no good" and folds AJ face up. Dealer says not a word, so I politely afterwards ask that players PLEASE not show their cards like that and this guy gets defensive, saying he didn't do anything wrong. At that point the dealer finally speaks up and helps explain why that was really bad.

In an earlier example, I had the nuts on the river and made a husky bet. Next guy to act has the 2nd nuts, calls, and flips his cards over. Folks yell at him saying there are still 3 more people to act and he says "I know--I'm just trying to save them money". I'm quietly fuming as one of the next players folds his cards face up showing the 3rd nut saying "I was going to call until you did that". And again, the guy who showed the cards is unrepentant.

Other than lacing up Al Capone's steel toed boots, how do we beat into people the idea that their misplay at the table can seriously impact other people? I want folks to have to post a 50BB bond when they sit down that they have to forfit if they pull some donkey move like this.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Quit showing your cards when you fold in a multi-way pot!

HUSKY BET EH~
Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Does your card room not have a floor? Call the floor and let the nut kicking begin. If the floor is unwilling start going over their heads.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does your card room not have a floor? Call the floor and let the nut kicking begin. If the floor is unwilling start going over their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never a seen a floor person do anything other than say "don't do that" when this happens.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:11 AM

I would call the floor over every time it happens until people stop. If that doesn't do the trick, start folding every hand face up preflop until the table is in an uproar. People only get the point when it affects them personally, so start messing with their odds and screw up the hand, especially when you aren't in the hand.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer says not a word, so I politely afterwards ask that players PLEASE not show their cards like that and this guy gets defensive, saying he didn't do anything wrong. At that point the dealer finally speaks up and helps explain why that was really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume the dealer isn't saying anything because he/she is afraid that the other players won't tip if they are told to follow the rules. I hope you don't tip dealers like this one.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:01 PM

most times someone shows their cards it helps you.
perhaps you are hated in the game and play too tight and people are trying to not give you action.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:42 PM

OMG, What sort of answer is that from a respected author? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

As to whether this is usually helpful or harmful to good players might be an interesting if academic discussion.

Overall there can be no doubt that having people break such basic rules just cannot be good for poker, period!

But what would I know, I'm just a newbie and I have not even read any of Ray's books yet. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Lots of cardrooms have like a 3-strike rule. There's nothing else they can do in that situation.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:45 AM

perhaps in this particular situation it happened to be a bad thing. But extra information (available to everyone) helps or hurts all equally over the long run; a good player can usually make better use of the information than others and that means a little extra edge.

what is good for poker is that the losing players have a good time and are willing to come back. Don't be too nitty in enforcing the rules, this may hurt your game in the future.