Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 02:16 AM

Default bluffing with a set

this hand felt kinda weird, thought i'd post it and see what ppl think.

3-6 online, 6-handed. i limp utg with 66, one lp limper, sb folds, bb checks. lp and bb both have about 500, i cover.

($21 in pot) flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

bb minbets, i raise to $36, lp coldcalls, bb calls.

($129 in pot) turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

ugly card for me. bb checks, i check, lp bets $66, bb calls, i call.

($327 in pot) river: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

bb checks, they each have about $400 left, i bet $300. good, bad, or ugly?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: bluffing with a set

Not good. The cold call at these stakes usually means spades, at the very least a 9.

Against one opponent the river bet is not so bad, against two, you are most likely getting called by a better hand, including any flush.

Since you normally play bigger live, I'm just curious. What's it like playing at these stakes online, do you automatically feel like you can kill these games, are you just trying to get your bearings, or are you actually challenged?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against one opponent the river bet is not so bad, against two, you are most likely getting called by a better hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cold call at these stakes usually means spades, at the very least a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]
i certainly didn't think my 3 sixes were the best hand; it was a bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
Against one opponent the river bet is not so bad, against two, you are most likely getting called by a better hand, including any flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
a flush definitely calls me, but i don't think either of them has a flush, at least not from the way the hand played out. clearly, i'm representing a flush, question is if my play looks like a flush draw, and how often they'll believe it does. a better hand does not always call me, i think i can force a 9 to fold.

i tried to put them on hands: lp's flop coldcall could have been a flush draw, but his turn bet made me revise that thought. how often does a flush draw bet there with a 4-straight on board? it looks more to me he has something like 98. bb also could've been drawing to spades, but his check on the river also indicated it was unlikely he made a flush. so, does a straight look me up enough here to make it -ev? i'm not sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Since you normally play bigger live, I'm just curious. What's it like playing at these stakes online, do you automatically feel like you can kill these games, are you just trying to get your bearings, or are you actually challenged?

[/ QUOTE ]
i've been trying to learn 6max and shorter games. live games are usually full ring, and when i play online 5-10 and 10-25 i still prefer full games too, reason being that the games are generally tougher at those levels compared to their b&m counterparts, and the pace is faster, so i'm not comfortable playing those stakes while learning shorthanded play. playing somewhat lower allows me to play more aggressively, as 6max requires, and i can afford to make more mistakes in the learning process. this hand may meet both of those criteria: aggressive, as well as a mistake? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 AM

hey mike -

raise preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 04:51 AM

I dont like it. Even if you're not up against flush, you still have to get one of them to lay their straight most likely.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM

hey mike,
I find that online I get paid off a lot in spots like this when I do have spades, as many ppl will assume they're splitting and think it's right to call. as such I'm not sure I like it vs. two opponents. if you are going to try it I think your bet amount is perfect though.

many ppl at 3/6 are just not thinking enough about what you might have to pull this off. in my experience most ppl are still thinking strictly in terms of hand strength.

the thing that clenches it for me is that I think BB could very well have spades despite his river check.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 PM

hi turnip, yeah, i think running this against 2 players is probably a bad idea, i need both of them to fold a pretty high percentage of the time to make it profitable.

let me ask you something about 6max play; bobbo brought up to raise preflop, and i have been raising 66 even utg a good amount, maybe 50% of the time. 99 and up i'm raising 100%, but 88 and below i still limp occasionally, with the limp frequency increasing as the pair gets smaller, obviously. how often do you raise 88, 77, 66 utg? just trying to get a gauge on how much more ramping up of aggression i need.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:06 AM

hi mike,
I don't think open limping is necessarily wrong, but I never do it at 6 max. I also almost never limp behind a single limper.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hi mike,
I don't think open limping is necessarily wrong, but I never do it at 6 max. I also almost never limp behind a single limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I overlimp often, but I wont open a pot with a limp. Sometimes there aresituations and hands worth isolating theplayer, but oftentimes you just want a multiway pot imo..