Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 AM

Default great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

so my girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to host a small friendly poker tournament after finding out a few of her friends have played before. i thought it was a good idea. she has never played before. she has just watched me so i figured she would be by far the worst one. since this was suppose to be friendly, i thought no big deal. there were 7 people and we all decided that the buy-in should be $10, with $50 going to 1st place and $20 going to second. so far so good. then things got quite intersting. as i was dividing out the chips, EVERYONE tried to tell me that we should have $10 in chips because thats what the buy-in was. and the blinds should be .25/.50. as hard as i tried, and as friendly as possible, i could not get anyone to understand that having that few chips wouldn't be any fun at all because you wouldn't have any room to bet. i mean that is only 20 times the blinds. no matter how hard i tried, they did not get it. i tried to explain that the buy-in has nothing to do with the chips and that we could have $1,000 in chips and it still wouldn't matter. nobody got it. so after several minutes of this, they finally agreed to starting with $20 in chips to "make me happy". well, it didn't stop there. i think it was the first hand that i saw someone bet $1 into a $15 pot only to have someone else raise it up to $1.25. huh? i thought these people had played before??? needless to say, since these were my girlfriend's friends, i didn't say another word all night. i just let it go and tried to have fun and keep the game as friendly as possible. however, apparently one of her friend's called her the next day and said i was a total [censored] about the starting chips. i couldn't believe it. oh well, next time they can play however they want.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

This is the wrong forum.

It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:02 AM

really? so if everyone tried to argue that 2-pair beat 3 of a kind, you would just give in?
as far as the wrong forum. i'm not sure this even falls into one of the forums. i was just wondering if any who plays full-time has had problems explaining basic rules in a friendly game. i did feel bad afterwards which i guess is why it's still on my mind. even though the girl who complained showed up with $5 and someone else covered for her and she didn't even know what beats what and one of the other girls came with her husband and 2 kids and her husband got so drunk he quit in the middle of the game and someone had to drive him home and then come back.
everyone agreed after that it worked better the way we did it. it was just the one friend who complained. but it was enough to make me feel bad about it.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 AM

My advice would be to stay the hell away from "friendly" games. The money you could win or the "fun" you could have isn't going to make up for having to deal with people that have either played the game once, twice or never before.

If you do find yourself in this situation, just keep your mouth shut and wait for the pain to end.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as far as the wrong forum. i'm not sure this even falls into one of the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try posting it in the Home Poker Forum. There is a lot of talk of home tourneys and the like there.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 AM

WTF does this have to do with the internet?

Go back to Home Poker homey.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 AM

sorry, didn't notice the home poker forum before.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 AM

Link Watch out for [censored] and * though.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst advise in this thread.
Don't post Poker in Other, other topics. quick way to get your post moved and in trouble.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst advise in this thread.
Don't post Poker in Other, other topics. quick way to get your post moved and in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was the idea. If only we could have convinced Mr. McVicker and his reincarnations to post in OOT. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]