Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 AM

Default slightly common situation (from a debate)

5 handed table. I open raise otb w/ 99. sb calls, bb calls.

Flop: A67r.

sb bets, bb folds. What do u do here and why? Im keeping the situation readless because that way u can tell me what u do against a good player, a lag, and a donk. My usual options here are raise or call which is obviously where the debate lies. Do u raise and go for a cheap showdown strategy or call down, or call and raise turn, or call and fold turn, etc.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Re: slightly common situation (from a debate)

all depends on the opponent. sometimes raise sometimes fold sometimes call. I think this is how everyone plays this.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:32 AM

i don't think I raise this much.

most of the time I fold

against certain lags I will call with the intention of calling down
Old 12-31-2005, 07:56 AM

My default is to call and strive for one bet per street. I doubt that raising any street is +EV relative to my overall pot equity and the risk of being reraised. This strategy pretty much negates his whole plan of betting out. If he's got me he could easily have checkraised me and gotten more. If this is a smaller pair he could have done just as well by calling down. If this is a draw he's lost his chance to checkraise when he hits plus he may bluff the river for me. Finally if I totally forgot to have a hand (instead of 99) then I fold with thanks that he didn't allow me to autobluff when he wanted to play the hand out.

With a solid hand range for Villain or some understanding of how he will react to a raise then I can consider playing it some other way. But that's not very common online. You don't want to be 3-bet unless you know you can fold. Nor do you want to set up a free card and then have no idea if you should be taking it.

An interesting question is why a good player would bet this flop against someone like myself. If BB is a maniac then maybe he's trying to blow me up, but with a reasonable BB the answer is much more subtle. The bet through the BB toward the PFR on an ace-high flop threatens a wringer. It's a very effective way of protecting or promoting an underpair because it's almost impossible for BB to keep anything less than an ace or an OESD. This simple trick conserves a bet compared to checkraising when SB wants to protect a doubtful hand like 87.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:19 AM

seems like a pretty standard raise as im probably ahead most of the time. u also get retards who bet/fold a lot of flops out of the blinds when an ace flops (versus button raise), for reasons unknown to my self.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:19 PM

yup, I would call here. good post
Old 12-31-2005, 04:47 PM

Just call down and make sure one bet goes in per street. If the flop was something like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'd probably call and raise for showdown.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Afterthought

You really got to ask yourself, how could SB coldcall preflop with a hand that beats me on this flop? Against many TAGs this is a dead give away.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:24 PM

raise the flop and bet the turn agaisnt fairly passive players. pay 2BB to see the showdown instead of 2.5.

against tricky/lag type players only raise if you dont fear getting bluffed off your hand.