Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Tournament Rules Question(Blinds):

I have a question concerning the end stage of a tournament when three players are left. The button(myself) goes all-in and the SB calls, BB folds. I lose. Does the deal shift to the SB who then becomes the SB/Button and then does the BB become the BB once again? This seems a litte unfair if the blinds are large. What is the correct sequence of blinds in this situation?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Tournament Rules Question(Blinds):

Hmmm, interesting question. I just checked the Tournament Director's Association rules and found no mention, as I expected. I also checked the Lucky Chances Rulebook project and I found no mention there about how this might work.

I think in the interest of fairness, the button should go to the former BB and play continues from there. It slightly disadvantages the former SB, but the disadvantage to the BB having to post it again is greater.

But this is just my best guess. I have not seen the actual rule anywhere or seen this situation up close.

Regards,

T
Old 12-30-2005, 04:20 AM

I did in fact check a site I frequent to see what Robert's rules of poker say. The site and rules are here http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/chapter4.php

For convience sake I have cut and pasted the Blind use rules from Robert's below. It speaks directly to when two blinds are in play.

SECTION 4 - BUTTON AND BLIND USE

In button games, a non-playing dealer normally does the actual dealing. A round disk called the button is used to indicate which player has the dealer position . The player with the button is last to receive cards on the initial deal and has the right of last action after the first betting round. The button moves clockwise after a deal ends to rotate the advantage of last action. One or more blind bets are usually used to stimulate action and initiate play. Blinds are posted before the players look at their cards. Blinds are part of a player’s bet , unless the structure of a game or the situation requires part or all of a particular blind to be “dead.” Dead chips are not part of a player’s bet . With two blinds, the small blind is posted by the player immediately clockwise from the button, and the big blind is posted by the player two positions clockwise from the button. With more than two blinds, the little blind is normally left of the button (not on it). action is initiated on the first betting round by the first player to the left of the blinds. On all subsequent betting rounds, the action begins with the first active player to the left of the button.

I hope I understood your question and that this answered it in a definitive mannor. Or does it still leave doubt as to what happens in this situation?

Monty
Old 12-30-2005, 05:28 AM

You are correct Sheridan. The button goes to the BB when the button goes out before the next hand goes to action.

This is balanced in a ring game when two players are active and a third player arrives and is seated to the right of the button. In that situation the button remains static and does not move for the next hand.

Since OP is speaking to tournament play then there is no offset and the button goes to the previous BB who becomes the SB and the current SB becomes the BB in the new hand.

Now there are situations where the dealer is BB HU and this is not the common practice but is generally accepted as allowed in certain arenas.

Monty

Did this help a little more?

At first look I missed something in what I thought I read in OP. Sheridan is correct in saying the rules are not specific in this area and I hope I passed along some additional information.

Monty
Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 AM

It shouldn't happen that way. When it drops to 3 players, the last person who was the BB should become SBB.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Yes, this makes sense, thank you.