Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Lying about your hand

This is kind of a response to Inignok's last post on the 'QQ facing action' thread. But I thought I'd make a new post because it really is a new thought, and I'm afraid it might just die over there [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
As a general rule, I never believe anything anyone says about their hands at the poker table unless they show their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you can put a percentage on this? I lie about my hand maybe 10-15% of the time--when I think it might have a huge benefit--now or metagame ("gf"). I think *most* people, barring psychotics and compulsive liars, don't really like to lie. We don't do it in our daily lives, and it hurts us a little to lie, even at a poker table. Also most people are proud of their good hand or good bluff, and while we may not show our cards, it's a whole level further to actively lie about the brilliant play we just pulled off or great cards we had.

Bluffing is another story. You acclimate to that pretty quick in poker. Although I'll get into a really soft, friendly, family-ish home game and feel guilty about bluffing or playing too aggressive. That is until my aunt pushes me out of a huge pot with air [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I would also say that I think it's tougher to lie at a B&M table, but more advantageous if you can pull it off. Of course if B&M beer is involved that goes out the window.

Thoughts?