Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: new car

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Foregt the hybrids unless she is doing a lot of highway driving. If she is doing city driving there is very little benefit to owning one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
really? i thought the hybrids use mostly gas in the city and electric when up to speed on the highway? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Foregt the hybrids unless she is doing a lot of highway driving. If she is doing city driving there is very little benefit to owning one.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
really? i thought the hybrids use mostly gas in the city and electric when up to speed on the highway? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, youve got it backwards. They use more battery in city and more gas-engine on highway.

The main benefit of hybrids is their regenerating capabilities through braking. Energy that is normally just lost as heat instead goes into charging the batteries when you apply the brakes. Hence in stop-and-go driving the batteries are charged and then utilized more.

FWIW hybrids do get excellent mileage on the highway (due largely to their tiny engines). They just get somewhat better mileage in the city.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. The battery does not have enough power to move the car above 30 MPH and it is charged by the brakes, so stop and go driving is what makes the hybrid shine.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hybrids have no "source" of energy other than the gas tank. so on the highway, all the energy comes from gas and it doesn't matter how many electric motors you have, it only matters on the size of the engine.

in the city, you don't need to run your gas motor when you're at a stop, and when you are just crusing around, you are not using all the power that your gas motor has. when your engine "idles" all it is doing is burning enough fuel to overcome the friction of the engine and keep it spinning, so that whenever you need to use it, it's already spinning and has a quick repsonse time. so a hybrid allows the gas motor to shut off at a stoplight, and use batteries and electric motors to accelerate from stoplight to stoplight, only turning on the gas motor to help charge up the batteries when they get low.

ford must have been redesigning the mustang or something whenever hybrid research was going on, cause they basically folded and bought toyota's first generation hybrid technology. so i'm pretty sure the escape hybrid has the same brains as a first generation prius.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, youve got it backwards. They use more battery in city and more gas-engine on highway.

The main benefit of hybrids is their regenerating capabilities through braking. Energy that is normally just lost as heat instead goes into charging the batteries when you apply the brakes. Hence in stop-and-go driving the batteries are charged and then utilized more.

FWIW hybrids do get excellent mileage on the highway (due largely to their tiny engines). They just get somewhat better mileage in the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops, i left out regeneration in my post. excellent point. probably one of the 'coolest' features.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Ford escape and 30k in the same sentence.....

Surprised nobody thiks this is asinine.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that shutting off the engine at stop lights is a much bigger win than regentive breaking. In electical cars regentive breaking only increased battery life by 10% or so. You can also optimize the system a bit more when you have 2 propulsion methods to choose from