Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: 500NL 5/5 Blinds AA hand...

Make your standard open $30.

Fold and yell THE ISLAND OF CRETE
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 PM

No he opened for $20 his standard raise.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:52 PM

I realize that, but in a live game where other people are opening for $30, it's good to do so as well. You can often get away with bigger opens in a live game than online, and since you'll get calls from weak hands, you build the pot with huge equity.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that, but in a live game where other people are opening for $30, it's good to do so as well. You can often get away with bigger opens in a live game than online, and since you'll get calls from weak hands, you build the pot with huge equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't disagreeing with you Edge, only repling to LA about the opening action. Should have quoted him to be clear.

BTW, I agree that one should be opening for more. I watched all of the web cast of this game, and I would have been opening for $30-$50 most of the time. Shortly after this hand Garland went on a run of good cards and was poping for $30+ for several hands in a row, so I am sure he knows too.

Garland I hope you post the KTs hand and the AQ hand too. Frankly I think those two are much more interesting. Garland I am glad you posted this hand as it was a tough choice to make, but I really think those other two have much more "play" in them, even if they are simpler in the end.

Again good job last night. Even the often critical Bart and Sherly never had a negitive word to say about your play and often commented how well you played.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 AM

I'm sorry for the missing details. I wrote this very quickly:

First off, the game was 7-handed.

I open-raised to $20 in UTG+1. David Tuckman called on the button as well as George in the SB and a very loose BB. I had position on the blinds, but not on Dave.

I didn't like the idea of checking the flop and giving a free card to a set. And then George will still lead the turn (probably big) and give me the same issue.

Garland
Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Garland I hope you post the KTs hand and the AQ hand too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand was a no-brainer. For those who want to know, I raised UTG+1 to $20 7-handed with the hand above and got called by loose aggressive on button and called by loose passive in BB. Once I bet $50 into a $60 pot and the button guy raised me to $125, I put him on AK or KQ. My hand was huge, and I had about $400 left. My opponent had me covered. I did the natural thing and pushed, and hoped to get KQ to lay down. If not, I had 9 heart outs and 3 T outs, which was 12 outs twice. He actually thought about laying down what was actually AK, but finally called. I didn't improve, but I had no regrets how I played it.

I'm not sure if you mean the AQ hand where I "stole" the $125 from AK, but I thought that was pretty standard play. No one was interested on in the hand on the flop, so I just took it away from everyone on the turn.

Garland
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Goerge is not known for making moves? I dont remember him for making moves, 90% sure he has a queen.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Results and thoughts...

As lapoker17 suggested, I thought about checking the flop. I probably would have done it with 2 opponents, but not 3, even with such an arid board. I especially don't like surrendering the initiative against David Tuckman and George "the Greek Poker God", who are very aggressive. I bet enough on the flop to get information on holdings.

The way it played, I thought it was likely George had a Q and was taking the steps necessary to stack me. The turn was the defining play. Either I was folding, or I was committed to calling down. I don't actually like raising as he will fold all hands I beat and call all Qs. He will probably put me on a big pair after my long deliberation and try to make a move on me on the river.

The truth on "Live At The Bike" archives showed that he actually had 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so I made a bad laydown here.

Garland