Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Party 11s: Bad for your game?

I started playing online at Party Poker a few months back before switching to Pacific Poker for a change of pace. I've been successful at both sites, but recently switched back to Party Poker during weekend nights because of the fish factor (I play Pacific during the daytime).

Last night as I was pushbotting on the bubble, it occurred to me that playing these tables was costing me a lot in learning experience. Post flop play is almost non-existent with the measly starting chip stacks, playing creative hands like suited connectors is -EV, as you don't have enough chips to see the hand to completion, and it's almost impossible to put opponents on a hand range because their starting requirements are so low. Basically, you're waiting for a hand where you have the best of it, and pushing your chips in while hoping for a fishy call. How does that improve anyone's game?

I play poker because I love the "challenge of self" it presents to me. As a solid but not great low-level player, I am obsessed with improving my game. With each new level of learning, I only realize how much more I don't know. I don't aspire to make a living off of this or even play in the WSOP. I only want to see how good I can become without putting myself in financial jeopardy. Having a few extra dollars at the end of the day is nice, but honestly I'd settle for break-even poker as long as my game was getting better.

Party Poker is great for making money, but I don't think that making money and becoming a better player are necessarily synonymous. I think that people at my experience level are doing themselves long term harm by playing in Party Poker's format. Sites with deeper starting chip stacks allow you enough wiggle room to experiment, play creatively, and work on your post flop play. Sure, you won't make as much in the short term, but I'm guessing that someone who consistently beats the 11's at Party can beat them anywhere.

Anyone have an opinion on their preferred structure for SNGs?