Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Default 1000BB Strategy

I do most of my playing on the party $5/10 tables, with a live home game thrown in every now and then. At the last home game I was at, I got invited by a friend to a game he described as great- full of rich lawyers, dotcommers, etc who like to throw around money gambling. The minimum buy in is $5000 - that's not a problem for me- I'm bankrolled enough that I could lose a few buyins and still play the $5/10 comfortably. However, the thing I'm a little worried about is that the blinds are only $5/5. I've never played anything close to that deep - occasionally I've had a situation where I've been at a table with one other player that has ~300 BB, but never six-seven handed where everyone has this much.

What type of strategies should I employ here to differentiate my game from a ~100 BB game? Specifically, how are these assumptions:
1) I can call more bets with (disgused) drawing hands on the turn given that my implied odds are higher
2) Set over set becomes more dangerous
3) Hands like suited two gappers are more playable
4) Position is even more of a factor.

sorry for the vagueness of this post- I'm just trying to figure out a game I don't have a lot of experience with.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: 1000BB Strategy

OMG, can you get me in?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Just fold almost everything UTG and play almost everything on the button.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM

The game will likely be much less deep than you expect. It will probably feature lots of straddles, opens for many more BBs than you are used to opening for, etc.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that a serious response or a joke?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

go all in preflop when you get Aces....im assuming they don't know how to play deep stack and wont be able to get away from hadns like QQ, KK , AK preflop.....
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go all in preflop when you get Aces....im assuming they don't know how to play deep stack and wont be able to get away from hadns like QQ, KK , AK preflop.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a serious response or a joke?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:41 PM

Accept that the game is going to play much bigger. If the min buy in is $5000, I'm sure there will be a couple of guys who buy in for $10000. So don't expect a raise to $20 to get anybody of a marginal hand preflop. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the night pre flop raises are up to 100.

If you compare it to an online game the max buy in on a 25/50 game is $5000, while this is the minimum for a 5/5 game, so don't be surprised if this game plays more like a 25/50 and possibly a 50/100 as the game progresses and more money is on the table.

I'm not sure how you should adjust your game, because I have never played in a game where the buy ins relative to the blinds were so huge. But as far as the bets go preflop and as a result thereafter will be much larger than your normal 5/5 or 5/10 game.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that a serious response or a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfway.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM

I don't have the link, but there was a thread over six months ago with the title "Deep Stack Theory". Virtually every respected poster on the board at that time, including El D, Flynn and T. Angelo, posted great responses. If someone has a link, it probably will help this guy out.